 Storage / 808
RE: Storage and sorting (Theme oriented)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:39:58 GMT

My children ages 4, 6 and 8 recently began their LEGO collections, and I am
beginning by collecting one particular theme for myself. At this time they
are interested in the themes and not interchanging the pieces to build new
creations.

<snipped idealistic description of sorting for kids>

Gail, based on my own disappointing experience in helping
to establish a sorting regime for my 8 year-old twins and their 4
year old brother, I can say that for my kids, it doesn't work.

Mind you, they have about a half garbage can full of Lego, so there
is rather a lot to sort. The one twin that is the Lego fanatic has
an incredible mess all over his floor, but some of his models are
really astounding.

We've resorted to only giving him a decent sized Rubbermaid tub full
but it's still all over the place. Eventually, he will come around
to the fact that a sorted collection is easier to build from.

If your kids are  able to sort without it being a big pain for
you, then you have my deepest envy...

Cheers, Ralph Hempel