 Storage / 685
Re: How do you sort your legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:39:56 GMT

James Powell wrote:

Dreading (or hoping for) the day when I have to sort by piece and color [1],

(as a little bit of a note, I am up to ~147K, and have only just started to
sort by both piece and colour.  The only pieces I have sorted by both piece and
colour right now are 1x4's in primary colours (not black, because nearly all my
black ones are used right now...).  I have ~30-40 tubs, plus a tackle box full
of technic, and 3 _large_ boxes of 1x3L and under, 2x, and 1x4L and up.  I also
have 2 large boxes of instructions/boxes/Lego papers.  I'm starting to sort
them too.

So, you might have a ways to go yet,

I think it can really depend on type of collection when you start
sorting by piece and color. I'm pretty sure I started way before I had
100k pieces sorted. According to my Excel spreadsheet, I'm up to 247k
pcs in my collection, which is probably close to what is sorted since
the set inventory doesn't include the most recently opened sets (got a
big stack of set boxes to enter into the spreadsheet), and also doesn't
include all the eBay parts lots, but does include lots of sets which are
built up and not sorted. My total collection including unopened sets
must be breaking 300k now.

Hmm, just remembered, I did start sorting by piece and color, at least
for basic bricks, long ago. Once I started sorting by much at all, I had
my basic bricks sorted by size and color BUT had all the bags for a
particular color stored in the same tub. I quickly became obvious that
that was a pain, so the tubs got reorganized by size (though some tubs
had, and still do have, 2 sizes). Of course now, for many pieces I have
overflow tubs (and the overflow tubs of bricks have recently become
semi-sorted, there's a tub of black and white 1x4 and 1x2s, a bucket of
red, blue, and yellow 1x2s, and a bucket of red, blue, and yellow 1x4s).
Plates also have overflows.

My collection is also reaching a size where my sorting system/work area
combination is about to totally break down. There isn't enough room to
store all the containers, but there's plenty of pieces which I don't
want to spill into overflow yet. Some of the strain is being handled by
moving infrequently used parts to other parts of the room (but this
results in significant piles of sorted parts destined for those
containers gumming up the sorting/storage/work area). I really need to
graduate to a larger place so there can be a single room dedicated to
LEGO (and the computer).

Frank