 Storage / 683
Re: How do you sort your legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:27:34 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Mark Papenfuss writes:
Ok, Here is my problem - Do I sort by color or by peice?  I see good points
and bad points for both.  I can imagine how hard it will be to look for a
1x3 blue brick in a big bag ao blue bricks, AHHHH!  But, it will be hard to
tell how many of one color I have if I have all the colors mixed up in one
bag, but it would be alot eaiser to find a blue 1x3 in a bag that only has
1x3's in it - - you see my problem?  So what do you do?  And what tricks
have you learned?  I am looking foward to getting some tips on this.

I personally sort by part.  I currently have well over 100,000 parts and
wouldn't be able to find parts if I just through all of one color together.

I keep my basic, primary color, bricks in tubs sorted by size.  A few sizes are
going to be resorted to break into fewer colors because they are in multiple
tubs anyway.  I have my Gray bricks sorted separately by size and the rest of
my bricks are sorted by size together in smaller bins.

About half of the rest of my parts I sort in Acro Mills drawer units (usually
used in a workshop for hardware).  These work really well for small parts but
my plates are becomeing a problem and I am looking for alternatives for those.
I have a couple of drawer units with really big drawers in the middle and
smaller ones on the sides.  These work great for slopes,  I store the regular
slopes in the middle and all the other bits like corners, peeks, gable ends,
etc. on the sides.

The rest of my parts are stored in sectioned bins.

I do have a tub of what I call "Junk" parts.  These are parts I just don't need
or want and don't want to take the time to sort and sell on brickbay.  These
include trap doors, trikes, revolving door parts, and other jr'ized junk.

Oh I also have an old dresser for storing Baseplates, Castle Wall parts, BURPs,
and Mega Bricks.

Eric Kingsley