 Storage / 380
Re: "Fixing" movable dividers in Plano boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:59:38 GMT

I've completed my experiments with Goop. It's an adhesive that comes in many
different iterations (I've used the "shoe" and "automotive" varieties and they
both seemed like the same... er... goop) and claims itself to be "stronger than
glue!" if you can believe that. AAAAnyway, this stuff is made by Eclectic
Products Inc., and I got mine at WalMart (easy enough, eh?) It sticks really
quite well to the Plano plastic, but the big bonus is that when you want to
take it off all you have to do is get a grip (fingernails help) and pull -
it'll just pop off. Once it's dry (overnight, so it finishes offgassing) it
seems nicely inert as well.
I did try a bit directly on a black tile (so any damage would show up easily),
and it seemed to stick even better to the ABS. When I did get it off it seemed
to leave an odd residue behind, which was easy enough to buff off. I'm curious
to see what it'll do if used to hold pieces together - i.e. will it dry
properly sealed between stud and brick, and so on. I'll keep you apprised. In
the meantime it works great for holding those pesky Plano dividers in place!

Of course, don't take any of this as precise scientific information.. heh.. I
won't take any responsibility if you melt your Lego, furniture, pets or
what-have-you with whatever adhesives you choose to mess with. :)
Have fun!

K.M.

In lugnet.storage, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Hot glue is brill... NICE idea Ralph! It would be more of a mechanical
connection, though,as the glue does not bond to plastic (unless you get
a special kind, I don't think).

My suggestion, along the same "mechanical" lines, would be Elmers(tm)
carpenters. Not permanent. A good soak will remove it.