 Storage / 1073
Re: "Fixing" movable dividers in Plano boxes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:44:25 GMT

Don't glue it, bite it . . . with scissors.  Cut the edge of the divider to
make barbs.

Problem:  Loose divider between bins slips and the contents of adjacent bins
merge.

Acceptance Test:  The divider remains seated when sweaty fingers move up one
side of the divider while digging up a small Lego piece from the bottom of a
bin.  Yet, in a box held firmly down the divider comes out slowly when
intentionally pulled up between two pinching fingers.

Older Plano boxes have this problem with loose dividers.  Fortunately,
deforming the divider can make it snug enough to pass my test.  My quick fix
uses scissors to bite into the flanged edges of the divider.  An angled cut
creates two upward pointing barbs.  A single bite  on each flange usually
creates enough friction to keep the divider firmly seated after insertion
into the slots.

New Plano boxes have a better design and material for the dividers and
slots.  They pass my Acceptance Test without modification.  Also, the new
box offers more slots than the old box for the dividers to create narrower bins.

Similar boxes by TackleLogic work well.  These boxes complement the Plano
boxes by offering different depths and bin configurations.

Do similar boxes by Eagle Claw work well?

WalMart has similar boxes bundled together with a Christmas theme wrap and
offered at sale prices in the hardware, not fishing section.  Unfortunately,
the wrap prevents my Acceptance Test.

Home Depot has similar boxes that work well.

If you want to test the dividers in a store, then you will need a knife to
trim the tabs left after separating the dividers from each other.

Do you know any other clean quick fix deformations not requiring adhesives
or heat?

In lugnet.storage, Mike Faunce writes:
Has anyone glued the dividers in place on their Plano boxes?  I've got about
a dozen or so of the 3700 series boxes and many of them are divided into as
many sections as possible and I don't see changing them.  Many times when I
go to get a bunch of a specific part I end up pulling out one of the
dividers.  Having to re-sort two bins to straighten things back out is, to
say the least, a hassle