 Storage / 1507
Re: Ultimate Lego Transport/Storage Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:17:18 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Thomas Garrison wrote:
   I’ve finally found it. http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do;jsessionid=0000R2W5PMEDESVTB1AW1Z35SBY:ufnir22a?level=SK&id=492928&locationinfo=SG1DV7SC705008SK492928 The Iris 15-gallon Wing Lid Storage Box, WL-60. I have found this only at Office Depot so far. Iris, a Japanese company, has a near-useless English-language Website1, so I don’t know where else it might be found. Akro-Mills has what looks like a similar product, the 68-qt KeepBox (model 66499CLSIL) but I haven’t been able to locate one of these yet.

Pros: Nests when empty Attached lid (no trouble storing lids while nested) Attached lid (no need to label lid, keep track of lid at shows) Clear (can identify contents at a glance) Plastic (stackable, rugged)
   15x15 at base

This last was the key factor. I have had great difficulty finding boxes that play well with large gray baseplates. I specifically went shopping for a Moonbase module box before BrickFest PDX; the best I could find was an 18x18x16 cardboard box that cost at least $5. That left lots of room for the module to slosh around and it had no support for stacking things on top. The WL-60 fits a gray baseplate almost exactly: not too small, but only a fraction of an inch of space to slosh. Thus, a Moonbase module, 15x15 landscape section, or similarly-sized MOC can be safely transported to a meeting or a show even without padding. This size will also work well with a combination of 10x10 and 10x5 MOCs. I can see a closet full of these, stacked-up and ready to go to a show in seconds.

Cons: Street price of $12 each Found only at Office Depot so far Iris seems to have little interest in product stability or compatibility; this box may go away at any time.

This is really really cool news. Your storage-fu is impressive. I’ll be bloggin’ this on Zemi. Also, you should check out http://www.zag.co.il/ for another horrible storage website for a good storage line.

   [ j o n ]
[ z e m i d o t n e t ]
[ m o o n b a s e ]