 Storage / 1506
1505  |  1507
Subject:
Ultimate Lego Transport/Storage Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:24:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've finally found it.
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do;jsessionid=0000R2W5PMEDESVTB1AW1Z35SBY:ufnir22a?level=SK&id=492928&location_info=SG_1_DV_7_SC_705008_SK_492928
The Iris 15-gallon Wing Lid Storage Box, WL-60.  I have found this only at
Office Depot so far.  Iris, a Japanese company, has a near-useless
English-language Website[1], so I don't know where else it might be found.
Akro-Mills has what looks like a similar product, the 68-qt KeepBox (model
66499CLSIL) but I haven't been able to locate one of these yet.

Pros:
Nests when empty
Attached lid (no trouble storing lids while nested)
Attached lid (no need to label lid, keep track of lid at shows)
Clear (can identify contents at a glance)
Plastic (stackable, rugged)
15x15 at base

This last was the key factor.  I have had great difficulty finding boxes
that play well with large gray baseplates.  I specifically went shopping
for a Moonbase module box before BrickFest PDX; the best I could find was
an 18x18x16 cardboard box that cost at least $5.  That left lots
of room for the module to slosh around and it had no support for stacking
things on top.  The WL-60 fits a gray baseplate almost exactly: not too
small, but only a fraction of an inch of space to slosh.  Thus, a Moonbase
module, 15x15 landscape section, or similarly-sized MOC can be safely
transported to a meeting or a show even without padding.  This size will
also work well with a combination of 10x10 and 10x5 MOCs.  I can see a
closet full of these, stacked-up and ready to go to a show in seconds.

Cons:
Street price of $12 each
Found only at Office Depot so far
Iris seems to have little interest in product stability or compatibility;
this box may go away at any time.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

[1] This seems to be a recurring theme with storage companies---Shimano,
Stack-On, Keter. . .I use and love their excellent storage products, but
their Websites offer little or no information on products that consumers
might actually care about, and in some cases don't appear to have been
updated for years.  Akro-Mills is slightly better in this regard.  I don't
think I own any Akro-Mills products. . .