 Storage / 1464
Re: How I store my Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:33:32 GMT

lessee...

first pics of my storage system--

http://sparky.i989.net/legop7.htm

I use plastic containers that were once holding ice cream--I eat the ice
cream so I dunno if the container could be considered free... but I have 40+
square plastic ice cream containers... (lotsa ice cream ;) )

I was wondering if anyone used those.  That was my original plan for storgae
back when I was about 10 and tried sorting it.  I never got very far though...
I had a lot less Lego then.

The 3 sets of shelves were 19.99 CDN each... that's 60 bucks...

Few Rubbermaid containers for bigger storage options--think around 5-15 bucks
per, and have about 10 of 'em.  Probably 100 bucks for Rubbermaids...

What else... oh like Dave E, I use the 3033 and other basic LEGO containers as
storage, but those came with bricks--dunno if you want to include costs in
actual containers.

I probably spent tops about 200ish dollars on storage to date.  I will probably
have to get another shelf set in the near future, but 200 bucks for my
100,000ish piece collection I think is pretty good.

For specifics--I sorted by basic pieces (1xN, 2xN, bricks and plates, etc) vs
'specialty pieces' (wings, tires, hinges, canopies, windows, doors, whatever)

Then I sorted by colour for the basic pieces--when each colour overran more than
3 ice cream containers, I subsorted into specific sizes.  If specialty pieces
can't be stored in one small Rubbermaid, then I subsort by colour--red doors and
windows are put into their own container and the container is placed on the
'red' shelf.

Same as mine...  But you already knew that.  I'll try to get some pictures.

Specialty pieces are sorted out by function--wings in a container, wheels in
one, etc.

Other interesting notes--separated all transparent pieces into their own
container for no real reason other than a container full of transparent pieces
looks neat.

All Technic/Mindstorms pieces are not part of this storage system--they're
stored in Plano containers and these containers are kept in toolboxes so I
can take 'em to robot competitions.

That's about it, really.  Works pretty well right now for my smallish
collection.

Smallish?  Wha'?  Everyone who sees mine says it's crazily huge and I'm
obsessed.  The last bit's true anyway...  Yours is many times the size of mine.