 Storage / 1436
Re: Storage / Display case for the 10152
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:36:53 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
I would really like to keep my 10152 built and have it on dispaly in my Lego
room but am having trouble finding a display case for it. I really do not want
to just have it out for it to get dusty - I rather have a case to put it in, The
case does not need to be fancy - a plain plastic case would do. I have checked
stores like Michaels, The Container Store, Aaron Brothers and other craft stores
with no luck.. nothing even close to the size I would need it.

Does anybody have any suggestions of places to look?

Thanks!
Mark P
LoB

Why not build one?

You can get Lexan and other plastic sheets cut to size at home centers.  Either have one large piece cut and then bend it (use either a heat gun or a brazing torch to heat the sheet and let it drape over a form) and add end pieces, or have long and short sizes and a top cut.  Use a plastic cement like Plastruct Plastic Weld to hold the seams.   Use either small "L" molding in wood or brass to cover the seams (just decorative).  Alternately make a "framework" out of Technic or System parts to cover the joints.

I just make a protective shield to keep our 18 month old son from "adjusting"
the television.  I purchased a whole sheet of "plexiglass" in approximately the
right size from my local home center.  I cut the sheet to size using a utility
knife and a draftsmans t-square (carefully score the sheet and then finally cut
all the way through).  I polished the edges using a belt sander (be careful not
to burn the plastic).  I then placed the sized sheet over a simple MDF form and
heated it using a propane brazing torch (again don't burn the plastic) to allow
me to carefully bend it over the form.

Alternately, here a couple of sites that sell display cases:
hallendisplaycases.com
www.acaseplace.com
store.casesforcollectibles.com

Matt