 Storage / 1421
Re: Summer Goal: Complete Sort & Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 04:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Jeffrey Benson wrote:

What's the best way to sort?  I mean, right now I'm just sort of going at it
peck and hunt ... I was thinking of going through and seperating out one color
at a time ... go for tan first, get all my tan pieces: bricks, round, tiles,
plates, etcetra, then sort them out by type of brick, put 'em all in bins, and
move on to the next color.  So I'm thinking that MIGHT be a good idea ... but
really, I'd like to get some advice from the folks who've already done this (so
that soon I can be a guy who can say, "I sorted my Legos!")

Hi Jeff,

I did my first sort about a year ago, of roughly 30,000 pieces.  I tried a few
different things, and here's what got me through it:

- get about 20 shoeboxes, bags, or other types of containers together. You will
use these as temporary dump places for general categories, so you can sort
faster.  Line them up around the back of the folding table you already have, so
you can throw pieces into the tmp bins as you get your hands on them.  If you
come across a new category, just add another box.

- As the tmp bins fill up, empty them into their final homes.  You'll see if you
need to move a fast-growing category into a bigger storage container, and need
to purchase bigger drawers.  Don't get too picky about separating 1x6's from
1x8's at this point, you can go through sub-sorted general categories later and
sort in greater detail, to either fit the containers you have or to fit the
categorization you want to have.

- As you get into it, you'll find you can practically throw the pieces into
theit tmp bins as you repeat the motion over and over.  At one point, I was able
to throw 2x bricks into their bin without looking, since that container was in a
corner.

- After getting the big pile broken down into 15-20 categories, you can part
those out into smaller categories & containers, like the drawer units you
mentioned.  Just get through the big pile first, and everything else is less
daunting.

- Trouble getting started?  Unmotivated?  The pile looks never-ending? Start
with a pile of unsorted brick, about 1-gallon's worth, and go until you finish
the small pile.  You'll be better equipped to define your break/stop points.

- I felt that 30k pieces wasn't enought to warrant a color separation, so I did
it by part type: 1x bricks, 2x bricks, 1x plates, 2x plates, wheels, figs, round
pieces, rare colors, etc.  An added benefit of this:  you will touch every piece
of your collection at least once during the sort, and you'll come across parts
you forgot you had, or parts you acquired from loose lots that you didn't see on
the way into the big pile.

Happy sorting,
-Nick