 Storage / 1420
Summer Goal: Complete Sort & Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 03:03:19 GMT

This summer, I have resolved to completely sort and organize my collection.  I
tried this once before, a few years ago, but lack of money to purchase
organizing bins (plus, a total lack of room in my studio apartment to set up
said bins) nixed that idea.

Well, now I'm in a two-bedroom apartment, and have a lovely 8-foot long folding
table on which are stacked several Tilt-Bins, storage bins from Home Depot, and
these "adorable" little 3-shelf Sterelite bins that Walmart recently started
stocking.

So far, I've actually done okay.  I've sorted out some grey, white, red, yellow,
green and blue plates, some tan bricks, and gotten a lot of drawers filled with
'specialty' pieces: minifigs, printed tiles, translucent pieces, steering
wheels, chairs, and so on and so forth.

But I don't really feel like I'm making any progress here.  Maybe I will as the
days and weeks pass - I'm hoping to spend an average of an hour a day sorting,
so hopefully I'll put a dent in my collection (I have four 18-gallon blue bins
topped with Lego, and a few 66 quart bins also filled).

What's the best way to sort?  I mean, right now I'm just sort of going at it
peck and hunt ... I was thinking of going through and seperating out one color
at a time ... go for tan first, get all my tan pieces: bricks, round, tiles,
plates, etcetra, then sort them out by type of brick, put 'em all in bins, and
move on to the next color.  So I'm thinking that MIGHT be a good idea ... but
really, I'd like to get some advice from the folks who've already done this (so
that soon I can be a guy who can say, "I sorted my Legos!")

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

-Jeff

(PS - those Sterlite drawers that I mentioned Walmart had?  They're $3.50 for
the small units, and about $6 for the big units.  They're a lot cheaper than the
Tip-Bin stuff I got from Home Depot ...)