 Storage / 1408
Re: Storing Minifig Torsos and Heads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:38:33 GMT

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Purple Dave wrote:

In lugnet.storage, Thomas Garrison wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for storing low-repetition minifig
torsos (and heads)?

This is going to sound really strange, but given your specific needs,
have you considered coin pages?  You should be able to find some type
that's just the right size to fit minifig torsos (I'd suggest getting
frosted pages if you can), and a 3" binder should fit nine layers.  I'm
guessing you'll get at least 20 per page, so that'd be 180 torsos in one
convenient storage device.  You'll probably have enough leftover room to
fit a few of the painted leg sets.

I like.  I picked up some 30-compartment pages for $0.69 apiece, and three
fit nicely into a 1" binder.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/torsos1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tgarriso/Storage/torsos2.jpg
I did find, though, that they wanted to spontaneously pop out (I guess
most coins aren't 1 stud thick :-), so I stapled each flap after
insertion.  Given the infrequency with which I access each torso, the ease
of removing and replacing staples, and the cost per page, staples are just
fine.  As a bonus, the pages can now be casually handled, and even
inverted (although I wouldn't store them that way).

Then the whole problem repeats with low-repetition heads. . .

If you take a 2xY brick, you can place Y minifig heads on it by
alternating studs down the length of it.  Stack a few layers of heads
and cap it with a matching brick (or plate, if you prefer) and you've
got a semi convenient arrangement.

It makes sense, but I'll have to think about implementation; since the
faces of the heads protrude beyond the bricks, there is a danger of wear
to the patterns.

Thanks,
--
TWS Garrison