 Storage / 1365
Re: How do you guys do it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:23:03 GMT

In lugnet.build, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.build, Nick Kappatos wrote:

(a bunch of really great stuff about sorting which I snipped)

While I agree that sorting is key, realise that Here There Be Tygers... it is
possible to go on a quest for the One True Sorting Scheme, get involved in
religious wars about what the right way to sort is, dump a whole bunch of money
into fancy storage and then burn out. Heck, there's an entire newsgroup just to
talk about sorting and storage. (http://news.lugnet.com/storage/ )

Me thinks thou doth confuseth two issves.  ;)

So watch out for that!

Yes, watch out for spending too much money on 'storage' containers at first.
But spend whatever time and thought are necessary to adopt a system of sorting
that matches your buying and building habits.

That said, some sort of scheme is good to have, and it REALLY does improve the
ratio of time spent building vs. non productive time. Pick one scheme and see if
you like it but try not to invest TOO much time and money, because you'll
outgrow it.

I totally agree.

Your sorting scheme is a system in-and-of itself and is *almost* independent of
the actual boxes the bricks end up getting stored in.  They are connected though
at some levels.  You can't, for example, store 1000 2x4 bricks in a 3x3 inch
zip-lock bag.  The container must match the quantity being stored.  However,
that container (especially when you're first getting started) can be anything.
You can use zip-lock bags, recycled LEGO tubs and buckets, empty shoe boxes,
well-cleaned tuna cans... you name it.  But the 'way' in which you sort is the
more critical system to define... at least in my books.  I like my plastic
shoebox sized tubs and my medium sized Plano boxes, but they are not as
important as how I have categorized and separated the bricks which they contain.

If I was starting again today to build my adult collection I would make as much
use as possible of recycled containers costing little or nothing.  Then, as my
buying and collecting habits began to trend I would try to match the containers
with the way in which I had learned to sort my bricks for my own building style.
In that way I would try to buy the right sized/shaped containers for now and for
the future.  As it stands, I have a bunch of undersized containers from my early
days that are heading for the recycling bins.

(for the record, the One True Sorting Scheme is Ikea wooden shelving with
Sterilite shoebox bins with the parts sorted by type (down to individual types
like 1x2 plates, or 2x3 inverse slopes, etc), not color, then backing store of
basic bricks sorted by type AND color, and backing backing store of 65 quart
bins of parts still in bags from when they were parted out from sets or bought
from BrickLink)

If you need that much volume.  Not all of us do yet.  ;)

For the record, I use a hybrid sorting system.  I sort by size/shape, by color
alone and sometimes by both at the same time.  For me, it depends on just how
many of a certain element I actually have.  And as some categories grow I
sometimes move one piece (or group of pieces) from one part of the system to
another.

Best regards,
Allan B.