 Storage / 1305
Re: Sorting your child's bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 04:16:40 GMT

"Richie Dulin" <rdulin@REMOVEmla.com.au> wrote in message
news:HEFus3.p75@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.storage, Dan Hennings writes:
I have a friend who is interested in sorting her son's collection. The • boy is
six and probably has about two thousand bricks. I know there are many • threads
discussing storage methods, but most of these are regarding an AFOL's
perspective. Is
sorting something that should be encouraged for children? What are your
experiences? The mother is currently not an AFOL. Thank you.

My childhood collection reached just over 3,600 pieces, and for the last
couple of years before my dark age, I kept them more or less sorted by
colour. But I was fairly obsessive (when I say over 3,600 pieces, I mean • 3,633).

What I would suggest for sorting for children, particularly one as young • as
six, is to sort out the parts into three catagories - really big parts
(baseplates, boathulls maybe BURPS and big canopies), really small parts
(minifig accessories, 1x1 plates in their various incarnations), and all • the
rest.

I think sorting into those three groups will make searching through the • 'all
the rest' much easier. A two thousand piece collection will fit in a blue
tub, but the presence of baseplates makes search through such a tub
difficult, and the little pieces will be in the bottom (if not lodged • inside
bricks).

I'll second this.  This is how my 3 and 5 year olds end up sorting their
collections (mostly on their own).  We've got some of the 3 drawer (2 small,
1 large) bins and they put figs and "special" pieces in the small drawers
and regular bricks in the big drawer.  This works well for both the Duplo
sized bricks and the normal sized bricks.  We've got a clone Lego table that
has storage underneath where the Duplo baseplates are stored We've got 5 of
these containers laid out like:

Minifigs & Accessories
Small Parts
Regular Bricks

Bionicle Stuff
Dinosaur Stuff
Large Regular Parts & Baseplates

Duplo Train Tracks
Duplo Trains
Large Duplo Parts

Duplo Figs
Duplo Animals
Duplo Bricks

Duplo Plants
Galidor Stuff
Duplo Bricks

We also labeled the bins, not for the kids sake (they can't read!), but for
baby sitters and other family members who are around and may not "know"
where things go.  Makes clean up go much faster when everyone can help.
After a couple of weeks the kids knew where everything was and could put
things back on their own without adult supervision.

Mike