 Storage / 1301
Re: Sorting your child's bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 22:38:32 GMT

In lugnet.storage, James Trobaugh writes:

My collection is sorted very detailed by color and brick size but my six
year old son prefers a bucket of mixed up bricks versus the sorted ones. And
he likes to just start building with no real plan of what he's making unlike
myself where I go into building with a plan in mind. So having them sorted
works good for me, while with him just having them in a big pile is perfect
for how he builds.

Along this same thinking, I would guess that precisely sorted bricks would be a
hindrance to a child's true creativity.
Unless the child chooses to sort the pieces themselves (as I did as a child)
then I think young children should have access to unsorted pieces.  A child's
collection could be sorted into very general categories and still give good
results.

__Kevin Salm__