 Storage / 1245
Re: Storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:43:33 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Adrian Drake writes:
This whole thread has been pretty fascinating, seeing shelving built out of
wood.  For those of us without the carpentry skills to build such things
(yes, I know they're pretty simple) you could always go the route I took.  I
bought a bunch of adjustable shelves from Home Depot, sku 677930 (look for
it at homedepot.com), and recombined them with the exact right spacing for
the blue tubs.  The results are thus:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/basement/dcp02479.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/basement/dcp02476.jpg

This solution works well, and is fairly compact.

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com

These store-bought shelving units look like a nice solution to the
tub-stacking problem as well.  Nice job!

I think the hand-crafted vs. pre-fab decision probably comes down to that
classic duality -- time vs. money.  The shelves I built cost me about $30
for supplies and about 2 hours for planning and construction.  I have seen
those metal shelving units in the store for about $30 for a four-foot tall
unit with three shelves.  So to be able to stack eight buckets, I would have
needed at least two of those pre-fab units, plus possibly extra shelves.
OTOH, this probably would have cut the assembly time down to 20 or 30
minutes.  More time to shop for bricks; less money to spend on them.

Then there's the customization aspect as well.  I have limited space in my
building area, which is a 150 square-foot room in my house that is split
between too many computers and not enough LEGO.  The tub rack that I built
is just large enough for its purpose, enabling me to place it in a location
where a standard size shelf unit wouldn't easily fit.  Likewise, the corner
where I currently stack my 3033 tubs is also too narrow for a full shelving
unit unless I want to block a window.  But I can custom build a rack to fit
any available space.

But I am still waiting to see someone post pictures of a rack that they
built entirely out of DUPLO or spare Jar-Jar heads.  That would be a
worthwhile project...

- Chris.