 Storage / 1100
Re: Sorting strategies [was: Re: Rebel Blockade Runner . . . Holy Moly ! !]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 21:33:23 GMT

William R Ward wrote:
The key to efficient sorting is lots of compartments, and regularity
is good. My "small plates" tray, a 24 compartment Advent Calendar
tray, can be used almost without sight since I've trained my hands
to know which bin is which - this tray has compartments for almost
every small special plate and tile (though the ones which still go
in 3700 Plano boxes all go into one compartment).

I don't think this is necessary for efficient sorting.  I just pick
out a handful of pieces of a given type, then put them in their bin,
and then a handful of pieces of either the same or a slightly
different type, and repeat.

But then, I'm not as meticulous about sorting as some people.  I do
not make any effort, as a general rule, to put only identical pieces
together.  I sort all of my LEGO into only 21 drawers (plus four Plano
boxes for the Technic bits):

Obviously you have a much smaller collection. Believe me, the sorting
problem gets worse as you get more pieces. To get an idea, I'll try and
relate how much of each of your 21 bins I have...

For reference in the following, a "large tub" is 17"x23"x12" deep. An
unspecified "tub" would be a LEGO tub (like 3330) or similar size). A
copier paper box is the normal size which holds two stacks of reams of
paper.

* "SPUDs, POOPs, & BURPs" [bagged]

I have a large tub JUST for dark grey BURPs, the rest of the BURPS would
fill another half. Castle walls and such fill a large tub.

* Bricks & plates in six drawers: Nx2, Nx4 [bagged], Nx3, Nx6&12,
  Nx8&16 (plus4x4), 1x1 plus Nx10&14&18.  N in this case is 1, 2, 4,
  or 6.  I recently bagged up the Nx4 drawer as an experiment, and may
  do the same for the other drawers if I end up liking the result.

My bricks would fill several large tubs.

* What I call "Brackets" - all the 1xn bricks and plates with various
  things sticking off the sides, headlight bricks, etc. [bagged]

Brackets fill 2 or 3 tubs.

* Hinges, swivels, and hitches [bagged]

A couple tubs.

* Curved & cylindrical pieces of all types [bagged]

At least one large tub (probably 2, arches fill at least 4 tubs).

* Minifigs, landscaping, animals, and minifig tools/accessories [bagged]

Let's see, landscaping 2 large tubs. Minifigs and animals and all, 2 or
3 large tubs.

* Windows, doors, and transparent pieces [bagged]

Well, windows and doors by themselves are 3 large tubs. Call it one more
for the rest of the clear bits.

* Wheels of all kinds, plus train parts

Train parts (including track and all) would fill 3 or 4 large tubs.
Wheels and similar bits fill 2 large tubs.
* Unsorted Technic bits

* Tiles and brick separators ("Lego wrenches" I call them)

Recently I had to split my tiles into two LEGO tubs. Except for the fact
that I populate my brick separators into all my various rooms (I need to
get them all dug out and do so now that I've moved), my brick separators
might not fit in a 1 quart bag...

* Printed pieces, corrugated bricks, "log" bricks, etc.

Let's see, "log" bricks fill a copier paper box. Corrugated bricks fill
half a tub. Printed pieces fill 6 PLANO 3700 boxes plus a couple tubs.

* Slopes [bagged]

Slopes would take at least 2 large tubs.

* Inverse slopes [bagged]

These would probably fill half a large tub

* Aircraft parts (wings, tails, propellers, rotors, helicopter skids, etc.

One large tub (probably not full)

* Baseplates, basebricks, and other large pieces

Base bricks fit in two copier paper boxes. Baseplates would fill 3 or 4
more copier paper boxes.

For all the stuff which I haven't figured out which category of yours to
fit it into, count at least 20-30% more space.

* Unsorted parts - partly assembled or disassembled models, etc.

I have three of the 7-drawer IRIS cabinets from Costco.  Each of these
sections represents one cabinet.  My collection may not be as huge as
some people, but if it were I would probably use larger drawers rather
than create too many new categories.  I don't want to spend too much
time sorting, and a little raking once in a while is fine by me.

A couple problems:

- I haven't found a good cabinet with larger drawers than the IRIS
cabinets (which is why I use the large Rubbermaid tubs).
- If you go much larger than the large IRIS drawer, you will find that
shuffling through it for small parts takes too long.

There's a fine balance between number of "bins" (where a "bin" is a
single compartment) and enough separation to be able to find low
quantity pieces. Also, the more sorted you parts are, the easier it is
to tell how many of any given part you have. It does help to have a
hierarchical storage system (where multiple "bins" are combined into one
logical unit, like a Plano 3700 box, or a tub with a bunch of smaller
boxes or bags inside).

Sorting for me is a multi-stage process.  Say I'm disassembling a
model or a new LEGO set I bought.  I'll grab up pieces that go into
the same drawer and then drop them in that drawer.  Later I'll go
through drawers and sort them on an as-needed basis.  There are
usually some loose pieces mixed in with the bag, as a result.

Multistage sorting is definitely necessary beyond a certain point. My
primary storage takes to much space for efficient sorting, so my first
stage sort goes into various trays, bins, and tubs. Some parts are so
common that they get close to a final sort during stage one (the small
plates for example).

The categories that are bagged are generally by type, with pieces of
all colors, and perhaps pieces of similar function, mixed together.
Transparent pieces (mostly space canopies) and slopes are grouped by
color instead.  I use small Ziplock bags from the local plastics shop.

I use Hefty brand "Slidelock" bags in freezer weight, quart and gallon.
Sort is first by shape then by color (though bags of bricks are sorted
somewhat by color, but mostly "normal" colors and "special" colors).

If I need to dig through the contents of a bag to find a particular
part, I'll dump the bag out into a plastic bowl (one of the new
disposable bowls from Ziplock), find what I want, and then pour the
bowl's contents back into the bag.

I find a lot of times with a clear bag it's easy to spot one of the
parts you're looking for and migrate it to the top of the bag where you
can easily fetch it out.

Frank