 Dear LEGO / 3918
Re: Rebel Blockade Runner . . . Holy Moly ! !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 22:42:51 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:
If you must have sorting containers I think there are many economical
alternatives available.  Recalling the approximate size of the container
trays in question, why can't y'all content yourselves with stuff like the
Glad Ware Entree containers, to name but one example of an alternative?
These 5.5" x 5.5" x 2" Glad Ware containers are quite cheap, have lids at
least as good as Lego buckets, and also stack evenly.

Why? Several reasons:

- for major sorting it is helpful to have good sized trays so you can
move 5, 10, 20 or whatever little containers at once

- an array of small containers has all sorts of cracks to lose parts
between

- a nice tray (especially the ones from the Advent calendars) is much
more compact

I have been looking for more rugged sorting trays, and have yet to find
anything which would work. Oh, how I wish I still had the vacuum formed
trays which I made in high school from plastic a little thicker than a
baseplate. They were about 12"x15" with like 6 compartments and about 3"
deep, and very rounded.

A real key is having rounded bottoms (which the LEGO trays have to some
extent) so most desk organizer trays don't work (plus they usually
aren't deep enough).

Why burden everyone else with the extra garbage?

Well, the vacuum formed trays are also one of the best things to prevent
box crushing.

Frank
(whose annoyed one of his advent trays got crushed enough to be useless
in the move)