 Storage / 1097
Re: Sorting Methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 17:05:04 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Duane Hess writes:
I have started pulling apart a bunch of my complete (and not so complete)
models and reintegrating the pieces back into my collection. My question is,
How do most people begin sorting a pile of random pieces? I'm not talking
about color vs. shape, I'm talking about the process itself. Any suggestions?

-Duane

I do my sorting in phases. Firstly, the setting.

I sit on my couch with the coffee table in front of me. On my coffee table I
have several containers to sort into (one for each category). Then I get a
big glass of water, a glass of Coke and some sort of snackfood that does not
make my fingers dirty. Then I turn on the TV, preferably something that does
not require my attention but is entertaining none the less, I recommend
stuff like B5, ST:TNG. Basically, something you have seen so many times that
you can listen to it without having to pay attention to what is on the
screen. Lastly, turn the phone ringer off, it is now Me time.

Phase 1: I sort the pieces into major categories. Doors and Windows, Bricks,
Plates, Round, Arches, etc... My typically largest group is the
Miscellaneous. :-) As I go along, I dump my filled containers into buckets
and continue.

Phase 2: I sort by part in each category. This takes a while and some times
I will break things into sub categories before the final sort. Then once I
sort out a category by part I add it to the specific part container or bag.
Then I move to the next category. If I find a mis-sorted part from a
category already completed it ends up in the mis-sorts container.

Phase 3: I then sort the individual parts by colour, if required. (e.g. 2x4
bricks take so much container space it is easier to break them down by colour)

Phase 4: Cleanup. I then quickly sort the mis-sorts and put them away. and
finally clean everything up. I then move the couch and remove the cushions
to make sure I did not leave any pieces for the dust bunnies.

Things to note: During phases 1 and 2, I make sure I sleep, go to the
washroom, shower, go to work etc...

The goal is to make sorting an enjoyable part of life. Instead of trying to
rush through it, have fun and make it enjoyable. If you live alone, this
approach is a lot easier because you will not be in anybody's way if the
sorting lasts for a few weeks on and off.

Jude