 Storage / 1094
Re: Sorting Methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 14:31:05 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Duane Hess writes:
I have started pulling apart a bunch of my complete (and not so complete)
models and reintegrating the pieces back into my collection. My question is,
How do most people begin sorting a pile of random pieces? I'm not talking
about color vs. shape, I'm talking about the process itself. Any suggestions?

-Duane

Interesting question.  If I construe it correctly here is how I do it.

1 - use a double bed or a large area of floor (both are likely to induce
'lego-leg' after a while but I haven't found a better way.)

2 - Put the entire amount to be sorted into a shallow box so you can reach
in more easily (make sure it is plastic or at least doesn't have places
where small elements can hide).

3 - Surround the main box with smaller boxes (if your chosen ultimate
storage medium is rigid and has a large opening you can use it, if not then
use something like 250g margarine tubs and decant after sorting)

4 - (If you have so much that you can't get it all into a shallow box you'll
have to do it in stages.)

5 - Sort the big stuff first as it is easier to grab.

6 - (I sort by shape only so if you sort by colour too this may not work,
then again it may be a good first step before sorting by colour as a final
step) Sort four or five similar shaped elements at once so you are looking
for the same sorts of thing but don't get frustrated when you pick up a 1x2
plate with handle instead of a 1x2 plate, try to pick up as many as you can
before transferring to the smaller box, doing it one by one takes ages.

7 - Don't forget to eat or drink.

8 - Mis-sorts are inevitable, they are relatively easy to spot if you tip
the 250g tub into the big box before putting the sorted bits into their
final resting place.