 Storage / 1095
Re: Sorting Methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 14:29:21 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Duane Hess writes:
I have started pulling apart a bunch of my complete (and not so complete)
models and reintegrating the pieces back into my collection. My question is,
How do most people begin sorting a pile of random pieces? I'm not talking
about color vs. shape, I'm talking about the process itself. Any suggestions?

-Duane

I think it depends on how you're set up. I have a table with all my storage
drawers on it against a wall. The drawers only take up about 10 inches of
tables space (10 inches down the entire length of the table). I use the open
table space as my work area. As I build, I create a mess of parts in this
area. I also dump parts from other moc's that I am dismantling there.

To sort, I always get the big stuff out of the way first. (6x8 plates, etc)
then maybe I'll go for all the windows I can see in the pile. Then maybe for
all the red bricks (and then all other bricks). As the pile gets smaller I
will go for all tiles, & then all plates. etc. I always have a junk (for
sale on EBAY) bag going as well. (especially for the newish sets that I have
to sort).

Every month or so I do a clean up of this area.

On thing I definetly do is inventory management. I keep my collection under
control. i.e. I had abt 600 1x2 gray corragated (grille) bricks at one
point. I had no need for that many & sold some of them. I do this all the
time. 800 blue plates? For me: ridiculous, I'd never use them, so off to
EBAY they went.

If I have to spend too much time digging & looking for parts I get
frustrated & it hampers my productivity. Keeping my collection to a
managable size is very important to me.

Best,
Jonathan