 Storage / 1096
Re: Sorting Methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:33:13 GMT

To sort, I always get the big stuff out of the way first. (6x8 plates, etc)
then maybe I'll go for all the windows I can see in the pile. Then maybe for
all the red bricks (and then all other bricks). As the pile gets smaller I
will go for all tiles, & then all plates. etc. I always have a junk (for
sale on EBAY) bag going as well. (especially for the newish sets that I have
to sort).

This is more or less the advice that I'm looking for. Basically, I have two
3'x 6' tables covered in miscellaneous parts, plus 3 or 4 3033 tubs with a
variety of parts in them as well.

My inclination is to divide and conquer. Split the larger piles up into
manageable piles and sort like items. All plates in one bucket, all bricks
in another, etc. Once that is complete, each bucket gets sorted by
individual piece; 1 x 2 brick, 1 x 3 brick etc.

Every month or so I do a clean up of this area.

On thing I definetly do is inventory management. I keep my collection under
control. i.e. I had abt 600 1x2 gray corragated (grille) bricks at one
point. I had no need for that many & sold some of them. I do this all the
time. 800 blue plates? For me: ridiculous, I'd never use them, so off to
EBAY they went.

I never know what I might need so I keep everything :-) I can't bring myself
to part with bricks very often.

If I have to spend too much time digging & looking for parts I get
frustrated & it hampers my productivity. Keeping my collection to a
managable size is very important to me.

Ditto

Best,
Jonathan