 Storage / *1620 (-10)
Subject:
Bionicleäpocalypse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:04:10 GMT

Bionicleäpocalypse

And lo! the Builder was Sick and Tired of looking at the Old Toys and wanted He room for the New Toys. Therefore put He His hand to a box of Zip-Loc­® bags and did part-out the Bionicle® thereto. Only the 2001, the MOC and the 2008 were exempted and also the cooler models like the Exo-Toa® and Roodaka® and the Bahrag® and Lesovik® and Lhikan® but not the sled or steed thereof for they please not the Owner so much and maybe the Boxor® but most certainly not the Matoran® of Metru Nui® which are the most Utter Crap. And that the baggies of Bionicle® might not tempt His eyes with their unassembledness to a spasm of MOCing they were cast deep within the tote that is of Rubbermaid® and no other and thence to a shelf in the darkest garage beyond the Ford Focus® and the Nordic Track®. And their Set Numbers were entered into an inventory and thence to an Index Card even unto a Rolo-dex® that they be not forgotten entirely. Be not sore of heart for all the toys will be gathered together at the last day when the Builder assembles He an addition or shed or daylight basement or other such Man-Cave as should please Him with sufficient display space thereunto. And there will be such a display of Bionicle® as the world will never have yet seen!

Subject:
Getting your MOC's to shows?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:46:15 GMT

I'm not sure where this should be posted, so I placed it in events, general, and
storage.  Stacy and I are planning to attend Brickworld and possibly BrickFair
this year.  We would like to exhibit at both, but this year will be our first
time doing any kind of public exposition.  Since we're first-timers, we have a
few questions (and I warn you this could get long) about AFoL events.

First we'll focus on Brickworld since it is closer to us in distance.  We will
be driving (probably a MINI) from the La Crosse, WI area and will be coming down
either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  Our questions...

1) How do most of you transport your MOC's and layouts to shows?
2) What types of containers do you use...if any?
3) How much stuff do you usually bring?
4) How do you determine what to bring?
5) How much stuff your first time exhibiting?
6) Does anyone collaborate on transport (i.e. multiple groups renting a U-haul)?

Next, we have BrickFair.  This would involve us flying in...which presents a new
challenge.  I'm leery of letting the airlines handle my MOC's, but I don't
really have the vacation available to drive out to VA.  So...

1) If you fly to an event...do you brings MOC's?
2) If so, how do you get them to the show (airline, UPS, etc.)?
3) How much stuff do you usually bring to shows you fly to?
4) If you bring MOC's on the airline...how do you package them?
5) If you ship them, what type of container do you use?

I think this covers most stuff.  We're just trying to get the logistics down for
going to these shows and bringing our MOC's, if possible.  This will be a
new...and fun...experience for us.  Can't wait to meet some/most/all of you this
summer!

Oh, if anyone is passing through the La Crosse area on the way to Brickworld and
has some "transport space for hire"...we'd be interested.  :-)

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:39:07 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
   Anyone see the new “LEGO Furniture” items being sold now in the online catalog?

A storage box in red, yellow, blue, or green, slightly larger than two feet deep by 1.5 feet wide by one foot high... for a hundred twenty dollars!!

And a stacking bin in green or red, one foot tall by one foot deep by three feet high - for a HUNDRED FIFTY dollars!!

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes for $12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who thinks that the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

And, there’s a table that’s 2’ by 4’ by a foot and a half high - for two hundred dollars!! I could make something like that out of less than ten dollars of wood... it doesn’t even have baseplates on its surface!

These are all on clearance now at S@H. The stacking bin is sold out, but the others are all deeply discounted.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Re: Bley
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:36:10 GMT

In lugnet.color, Bob Parker wrote:
   Now that all I have is bley, it does look nice by itself. Since I sold off all of my original grey, the mismatch between the two hues is not a problem in my currently small collection of pieces.

I don’t think I could stand to do that... there are too many unique pieces that aren’t available in new grey colors. I’m currently wrestling with dilemmas about how to cope with the various shades of grey in my sorting system. I’ve tentatively decided to take the old grey and brown colors out and store them in “obsolete color” bins, and when I build MOC’s I would choose either the new or old grey bins to build from but not typically both at once.

It’s just such a pain to separate the different shades of grey from each other...

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:02:27 GMT

In lugnet.storage, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.storage, John Patterson wrote:
   My guess is that they were made in China and cost Lego about a dollar each. Tack on another dollar for shipping to the distrabution center.

This guess seems out of whack. Lego has pretty thin price margins comparatively (just ask merchandisers what the ‘at cost’ price is for Lego to get an idea). I don’t see why Lego would be jacking up the price for these storage bins but NOT for everything else. Besides, whenever they try to market things in the USA, the price margins are razor thin compared to everywhere else-- why should we expect these to be any different?

But even moreso-- what do you think most US citizens would be willing to pay for them? If they were for sale at $40 per shelf, they’d be selling like iPods to teenagers. They’d move thousands of them REALLY quickly, because they LOOK fantastic, they’re versatile, and they’d be affordable. If Lego’s cost were even $20 per, they’d be making a KILLING at $40 per unit, selling them by the proverbial barrelful. But at $100+, they’ll sell FAR fewer, and make way less money (assuming the same $20 baseline cost for Lego).

Personally, I think these look like (and are priced like) high quality shelves, and I’d be proud to have some. I don’t think I’d keep my Lego in them (because it’s just inefficient for AFOL sized collections), but they look perfect to go in (say) the front hall as a place to store shoes or boots, or in some other room as a cute storage system. I also think they’d work well for schools, day care centers, etc-- anywhere where there’s a chunk of Lego for kids to play with that needs a sturdy storage system.

DaveE

I have the storage and sorting box and it is ok, nothing special, but a lot cheaper than the other ones. I also have the older one from the 80’s or earily 90’s, held up well. My guess on the price comes from my other life when we ordered a few things from China. Very very low prices when you buy in quanity and if you fill up a conex container shipping is very low also. Not what one would expect. That is why so many things are made in China now. I just bought a bedroom set and it is very heavy and it was made in China. So I don’t think that it is all that expensive considering the weight and that the item is more than keystoned. So for a $5500 bedroom set, the seller here makes around $3000 that leaves 2500 amd if the keystone is more, which it probably is then cut another $500off and then shipping in the US from the West Coast is probably around $200 if by rail. Then the profit in China and their internal shipping, so the production cost goes down even more. And I do not think that wood is a problem in China. The cost for wood jumped after Katernia here, but China stayed about the same.

I am sure that it is a good quality product and there are a lot of private schools that may pick it up, but even I, who is Lego crazy would not spend that much for the furniture. After all I live in El Paso, not Beverly Hills. (The sorting storage box is great and at a resonable price, probaby did that to fill up the shipping container.) John P

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Bryan Wong wrote:
   In lugnet.storage, Scott Lyttle wrote:
   Since this product is made from pine, I’d dare say there is no particle board present. (Most of those bookshelves from Wal-Mart are made of particle board...Particle board is an awful material to build with--even MDF would be preferred over particle board.. and MDF is basically sawdust and glue!)

So, you’re probably getting a pretty decent quality product with those containers. I, for one, will not be buying them, simply because I’ve got a really nice table saw in my garage to use for another of my hobbies. I’m currently in the process of using my saw to make storage shelves in my own LEGO room, and it’s building my skillset on the saw at the same time.

Yes, some will probably be sold by those who “must have it at any price”, but if the quality of that furniture will be anything like the 3-sided play table, it should hold up very well. For some reason, I think the furniture is not shipped assembled, so assembly is required.

Yeah, the website says that the LEGO furniture is made from pine and MDF. Also says that the item will come mostly unassembled - much easier to ship that way I guess. Besides, being a construction toy company, I’d expect most LEGO products to require assembly!

-Bryan

**snickers**

Bryan, you beat me to the funniest part of this whole thread. “Some assembly required...!” Yeah, right.

Still wouldn’t buy it at those prices for kids. I’d get it for myself, and have fun with it...if I had the bucks. But between getting new LEGO, and buying bricks off of Bricklink--does that sound familiar?

Play Well and Prosper,

Matthew “The Brick Detetctive”

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:10:30 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:04:05 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:57:20 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
Anyone see the new "LEGO Furniture" items being sold now in the online catalog?

A storage box in red, yellow, blue, or green, slightly larger than two feet deep
by 1.5 feet wide by one foot high... for a hundred twenty dollars!!

And a stacking bin in green or red, one foot tall by one foot deep by three feet
high - for a HUNDRED FIFTY dollars!!

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes for
$12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who thinks that
the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

And, there's a table that's 2' by 4' by a foot and a half high - for two hundred
dollars!!  I could make something like that out of less than ten dollars of
wood... it doesn't even have baseplates on its surface!

Well, from what I understand, the materials are made of pine (softwood...As an
amateur woodworker, I like hardwoods much better), and I agree, the prices are a
bit high, but there's still probably a bit of cost there.  Wood is not cheap,
even in bulk, factor in shipping, warehousing and labor (if made in China, labor
is probably quite small, relatively speaking).  I'd say for that 150 dollar
price tag, you're probably looking around 40-50 dollars material and shipping
cost--remember, oil is going up, and China is now a major consumer of oil, given
their current economic boom.

[...]

Scott

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:20:50 GMT

In lugnet.storage, John Patterson wrote:
   They are in the new catalog. My guess is that they were made in China and cost Lego about a dollar each. Tack on another dollar for shipping to the distrabution center.

Yeah, not buying that guesstimate, on either count. Wood in large volume is a lot more expensive than a small amount of plastic, and for shipping purposes, those will either eat up a huge amount of volume (if they’re preassembled), or weigh an ungodly amount (if they’re flat-boxed kits) and still take up a large volume. Either way, they will not ship anywhere near as economically as small boxes of plastic toys. Also, consider warehousing costs, which will again be much higher based on volume (and order-picking might be similarly affected by both weight and volume).

   Give it time, they probably bought thousands and when they get stuck with them, as with Galidor, the price will drop very very low.

I’m sure they don’t expect this to sell like hotcakes, so they probably ordered in fairly low volume. There will be enough moderately wealthy families out there who’ll think this is worth buying for them to move their stock. When I was in high school, I spent a few years working for a boat-builder, and he used to make rocking-boats that a local store would sell for ~$150. This was over 15 years ago, we lived in a resort town of ~6000 residents, and those rocking-boats would still sell as fast as he could make them.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact