 Star Wars / 996
Re: What does everyone want to see in the next wave of Ep4,5,6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:37:28 GMT

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:39:55 GMT, Karim uttered the following profundities...
In lugnet.starwars, Richard Dee writes:
Anyone have any info
or care to venture a guess?

Jason

Assuming that there will be 5 sets released next year......
1.Shuttle Tyderion
2.Millennium Falcon
3.AT-AT or AT-ST
4.Death Star Playset
5.Emperor's Throne Room (Loads and Loads of black and dark gray!)

Based on the current lineup, It looks like there is a particular focus on
vehicles/ships.  Given that, I'd expect more of the same.

However, also noticing that the current lineup already features sets from all
three "older" movies, and that the current marketing is all for sets based on
the "new" movie (Episode One), I'd hazard to speculate that there will be no
more official sets from the "old" series (4,5,6).

However, if it comes to wishing, my pick would be something like:

A-Wing
B-Wing / TIE Interceptor Combo
Bespin Carbon Freezing Chamber (Loads and loads of dark grey and orange!)
AT-AT or AT-ST
Slave 1 or Lamda Class Shuttle

Based on the new pieces that we've seen so far in the SW sets (Finally, a
rounded canopy!!!!! I've been waiting for that for years!), I can see very
elegant ways to build any of these... If I had enough pieces in the right
colors ;-)

--Karim

I hadn't paid much attention to the Kenner or whoever SW sets
over the years, despite being an avid "collector" in my youth.
Over the last year, or so, though, I have been having a look.
It would seem there is a figure for any extra or character that
had a greater than 1/2 second screen presence. Ridiculous. And
there seems to be a playset for any scene that lasted longer
than 1/2 a minute. This is not the direction I would like to
see Lego go. A few ships, a few playsets, minifig packs,
not much more. A dark grey/black/etc.-SW-themed freestyle
bucket might be a good idea, like someone had suggested for
a Mos Eisley playset. But, dark bricks could be implemented
for Death Star/Star Destroyer/Rebel ship bridge playsets.
Perhaps 5 new PM sets and 10 Ep iv-vi sets per
year. Too much is overkill. I will buy Lego SW, simply
because they can be used however I want. If there are too many
sets, too many "themes," then I won't be able to purchase them!
To stick with vehicles would probably be a good idea. It would
also aid mass-production and -distribution, keeping availability
up, and scalper prices down. If we see the Kenner fashion of the
equivalent of 30-40 new sets a year, it would probably be the
end of the rest of Lego. In order to keep production up to the
demands of SW, we could see the end of the brick bucket, freestyle
sets, and themes (though the loss of some might be a good thing).
Anyway, ships-only, I would still buy. A few other types of sets
I would probably buy also. But full-blown, SW universe I can't
afford.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/