 Star Wars / 977
976  |  978
Subject:
The next round of sets--->2005 (was: Re: What does everyone want to see in the next wave of Ep4,5,6
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:22:03 GMT

Good as any guesses, but a little logic can go a long ways...

First a couple of givens.  A minifig scale Millennium Falcon or AT-AT would
simply have way too many pieces to be a normal Lego set costing less then $150.
Thus they will not be produced.  If you want one, you'll have to build one
yourself.  Isn't Lego great!  What other toy can you do that with.

The other given, they still need to introduce the other episode 4/5/6 main
characters.  At a minimum, I figure they still need to introduce the following:

Han Solo
Chewbacca
Princess Leia
Yoda
A normal storm trooper
Boba Fett
C3PO
Lando Calrissian
Jabba the Hut
Ewoks
Jawas
The emperor
Red emperor gaurds
And many others which will get thrown in along the way like the ground support
guy that comes with the x-wing set.

Han Solo and Chewbacca have yet to be introduced.  The natural set to see them
with would be the Millennium Falcon.  But as I already mentioned, I do not
expect to see it as a set.  Thus, Han and Chewie will get introduced in the
Tatoone bar scene set with a few other misc figures like Greeto and a few other
aliens.

Yoda needs to make an appearance and I'd suggest this could only be a Dagobah
playset.  It would include Yoda and Yet another Luke minifig.

Leia needs to make an appearance and I'd expect to see her in several new sets
over the next few years.  First, however, will be a Death Star Playset.  Han,
Luke and Chewie get to rescue her from the detention cell.  Much like the
original Death star playset from Mattel(or is it Kenner, or Hasbro) includes a
trash compactor.  This set would include several normal storm troopers.

Boba fett will get introduced.  More then likely with a set with his Slave-1
ship.

C3PO will have to make an appearance.  That's a tough one.  I venture a sheer
guess, and suggest there will be an escape pod set featuring C3PO, R2D2 and
couple of jawas and maybe even a sand-person (what are they called again?)
Other then that, I'm not sure what set you'd find him in.

The emperor will show up with a couple of red gaurds in a emperor's throne room
set like suggested below.

Lando may appear in a Bespin Play set that includes a cloud car and freeze
chamber.  Or the cloud car could be a separate set.

Jabba the hut will appear in a Jabba's palace playset complete with a rancor.
Might looksomething like the new earth elemental looking guy in those new sets
coming out.

Finally, I expect to see a few ewoks in a endor playset.  Includes Leia and Han
in forest garb minifigs.  Also a couple of rebel troops. A AT-ST  may be an
accompanying set.

I'd expect these to all apear in the next three years, but that Lego and
Lucas will renew their agreement and introduce new sets based on the original
three movies through 2005 at least.  All total, I'd expect 15-20 news Star Wars
sets every year for the next ten years (covering all six movies).  It's simply
too big of an opportunity for Lego to pass up.  Thus, by the year 2005, if you
want to be Star Wars complete, you'll need to have around 100 sets.  Throw in
10-20 polybags to the mix as well.

I really hope Lego will come out with a Millennium Falcon set, but the odds are
stacked against it, simply with the number of pieces it will require, i do not
see it being realistic.  I've already started building my own and I hope to
mimic the accuracy of the Lego produced x-wing, snowspeeder and y-wing.  Such
that when Han and Chewie do come out in a Tatoonie playset, they have a ship to
escape in.

That, my fellow Lugnetters, is my humble opinion.

Ben Fleskes

Assuming that there will be 5 sets released next year......
1.Shuttle Tyderion
2.Millennium Falcon
3.AT-AT or AT-ST
4.Death Star Playset
5.Emperor's Throne Room (Loads and Loads of black and dark gray!)
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/