 Star Wars / 7735
Re: TLG and Minifig Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:53:43 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Thad Jantzi writes:
Also... correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the MTT way
smaller than minifig scale?
I just watched it the other day.  In actuality, the MTT is pretty close in
overall size.  The upper section on the one in the movie was longer in
proportion to the overall body, and the hatch was about 2 times larger.  The
rack that came out held 8 droids per row.  If you double the rack on the Lego
version and extend the taller section back more without elongating the whole
thing, you will see that its damn close.  I was very surprised as I held the
MTT in my hands while watching the movie.  The only difference is the front
should be more sloped and the tall section should extend back another 1/3 or
so to allow room for the 8 droids per row.

  That said I'll bet we see a scaled down Blockade Runner too. If they put
out an Imperial Shuttle that IS minifig scale, it'll cost at least as much as
the UCS sets. I built a shuttle that is about 85% the size of minifig scale
and it used over 900 pieces! (http://myweb.mortimer.com/~tjantzi/lego.html)
  IMHO, there is no way Lego will stick to building stuff strictly at Minifig
scale if it means not getting to put out the cool sets that they COULD put
out.

I agree, their wont be much of any Lego to scale except small fighters and
speeders.  Expect all larger sets to be somewhat out of whack.
  They're already out of Episode 1 stuff, right?

Gotta remember all those pod racers.  Theres plenty of those to go on.  Also,
they can make lots of the set already out in UCS scale(the more I think of a
UCS Naboo fighter, the more I think how cool that would look).

If they scale stuff down a bit they can put out the queen's ship, that
red ship that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon arrive on, Palpatine's ship, maybe even a
Mos-Espa priced Droid Control Ship.

Keeping in mind how they butchered the Infiltrator, I can see your point on a
Corvette or the Nubian.  However, I have yet to see Lego make a System set
larger than $100.  Technic, yes, UCS, yes, but not system.

Jason F.