 Star Wars / 5482
Re: 4x2ReVu: B-wing (slightly off topic)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:05:58 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, Mark Sandlin writes:
In lugnet.reviews, Mike Petrucelli writes:

2) A-Wings do not have concussion missile launchers... where would you put
them? It's a seat sandwiched between two engines. Their primary purpose is
dogfighting TIEs and going really fast.

Wrong.  The A-wing has two concussion missile launchers.  Realize that a
concussion missle would be about the size of a lightsaber blade piece
(slightly shorter though) and it only has eight of them.  The A-wing does
indeed have pivoting blasters as well.  Lego hit it right on with that.  Also
the A-wing has extremely weak shields. (I guess to make room for missles :-D)
It's survivablity is in its speed and manuverability.

Again, it depends where you get your stats. You didn't say where you got
yours, but I prefer to use the stats from the Star Wars RPG books.

My stats come from the "Behind the Magic" PC-CDROM.  It includes production
models, concept art, and a description based of the ideas of the ship from the
movie.

In the RPG, the A-wing doesn't have concussion missiles. Another
consideration is that not only does the fighter have to be able to hold the
missiles, it has to
be able to contain the launcher also, which consists of a firing mechanism
and some sort of feed magazine for the missiles. Personally I don't think
there's room
for all the avionics, life support, nav computers, and assorted other
gobbledegook to be able to shoehorn in a concussion missile launcher + 8
missiles. However,
the RPG says the A-Wing packs a sensor jamming suite, which would keep those
nasty missiles from TIE Bombers away.

I checked the CD again it says A-wing have two launchers each with a rack of 6
missles.

I prefer to follow the SWRPG stats for the B-Wing because I like the
backstory they have created where the purpose of the B-Wing is a heavy • assault
starfighter whose primary role is attacking capital ships. It's not the sort
of thing that goes out dogfighting TIEs, and so it has no need for major
blasters on the
wings (it has a couple on the cockpit). Generally, they go out in squads of
two with two wingmen (usually X-Wings or A-Wings) who keep the TIEs busy • while
they do their business on the capital ships.

The first B-wing was created by Admiral Ackbar and some Verpine ship • builders.
This single craft was sent to destroy an entire TIE fighter staging area.
Thanks two its gyroscopic stabilization the B-wing is the best dog fighter
in the Star Wars universe.  Its success is what got Ackbar promoted.

The SWRPG says:

"it was found that despite the B-wing's powerful weaponry, the ship had
exploitable flaws. Chief among these is a lack of maneuverability and speed,
unimportant against the even-slower capital vessels, but a crippling
liability against the new Imperial TIE Interceptors"

         - SWRPG, Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, p. 88

The X-Wing moves at 8 units/time, while the Y-Wing travels at 7, and the
B-Wing at 6. The A-wing moves at 12. The B-Wing's maneuverability is little • more
than half that of the A-Wing.

In speed is correct in the SWRPG but a B-wing is far more manuverable thanks to
its "gyrostabilization" mechanism.  The CD-does say that the B-wing because of
its heavy armaments (not its lack of manuverability) is typically employed
against capital ships and other large targets.

The
B-wing in standard configuration has 3 heavy blasters on each wing alongside • 3
ion cannons.  Two light blasters are mounted on the cockpit.  These eight
weapons points are interchangeble for varied missions.  This ship also excels
at attacking capital ships thanks to its dual proton torpedo launcher and ion
cannons.  Like the A-wing it only carries 8 warheads.  However proton • torpedos
pack much more of a punch than concussion missles which were designed for
shooting down fighters.

SWRPG denotes the following weapons for the B-Wing:

One Laser Cannon (same strength as X-wing, most likely housed in the nacelle
at the end of the wing with the ion cannon)
Two Proton Torpedo Launchers
Three Ion Cannons
Two Auto-Blasters (half-strength of the Laser Cannon)

Anyway, you can build the model however you want, because it's your Lego
universe. :^)

That's right.  Though if you are trying to accurately* recreate the Star Wars
universe I suggest you purchase either the Star Wars encyclopedia or the • Behind
the Magic PC-CDrom.

There are obviously many different representations of weaponry and
configurations in all the assorted Star Wars media, and they don't all seem
to agree
either. I'm obviously biased toward the SWRPG, since I've played it for a
few years. I would be interested to know where Lord Insanity got his stats,
though :^)

Yes there are.  There is an order of overruling contradictions though.  If you
hang around the newsgroup alt.startrek.vs.starwars you will learn the offical
standpoints for Paramount and Luscasfilm very quickly.  Lucasfilm's order of
canon (real occurances in the universe) evidence is as follows:  Films, Radio
Dramitzaions of Films, Novelisations of films, Authorized expansion novels,
StarWars Encyclopedia/Behind the Magic CD, Comic Books.  All of these are
regulated by Lucasfilm to ensure that they all fit together coherently.  All
other sources are basically considered useless as they are almost always
contradictory.

Anyway, build it however you want... it's your Star Wars universe.  :^)

Exactly.  If you want to follow the SWRPG then by all means go for it.

-Lord Insanity aka Mike Petrucelli

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity