 Star Wars / 5369
Re: What a bunch of minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:04:37 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
So do the Star Wars playthemes (see next paragraph) hold a record for the most
unique figures introduced in a one-year period?  I count 26 distinct minifigs
(including the Gungans), and an additional 11-12 non-minifig characters -
droids and aliens and such.

Hmm... you seem to include sets from 1999 and 2000, yet you're looking for a 1
year period?

Yeah, I realize it's kind of a cheat, but if TLC is going to release sets on an
irregular schedule, what are we mere fans supposed to do?

You don't include sets that haven't been released yet, so do you
mean stuff that was *technically* available throughout a 1 year period, being
Jan 1, 1999 to Dec 31, 1999? Hmm... I guess to actually know the answer, we'd
have to find out what sets were available in the past during the last few weeks
of a new year... and that might get tough... or perhaps a 1 year period meaning
from August 12th, 1984 to August 12th, 1985... guess it all depends on how we
look at it...

I don't have any solid data to go on, but I'd bet that any of the other
individual playthemes had fewer than 13 new, unique figures released in a
12-month period.

If any playthemes did have more than 13 figures, it would be in either Castle or
Pirates, I think.

It's certainly way up there in terms of unique figs! (and *great* figs!)

Especially the *great* part.  Except for the Padme fig, but let's not talk about
that now.

Characters
----------
R2-D2
R5-D4
Battle Droid
Droid Star Fighter
Pit Droid #1
Pit Droid #2
Pit Droid #3
Boxy wheeled thing in set #7141 Naboo Fighter which may be a droid, or may
just be a maintenance cart.
Sebulba
Gasgano
Sith Spy Droid
Han Solo in Carbonite

Hmm... these are tough to count... Does anyone else actually consider any of
these actual figs? • I'm almost tempted to count Battle Droids, Astromechs, and
Sebulba as figs, but then again, they're not really "pure" figs... I don't
think I include the Droid Fighter, the Pit droids, Gasgano, Sith Spies, Han
Solo in Carb, or the Boxy thing as very plausible though... still kind of a
tough call for me...

R2-D2, R5-D4, and Battle Droid are definitely figs.  Not minifigs, because they
don't use the right parts, but figs.  It takes great creativity to use their
parts as anything else but what they have been designed to be.

Sebulba and Gasgano are also characters, can't do anything else with them, but
they're so cheesy I hate including them

Droid Star Fighter and the Pit Droids are also characters.  They are made of
standard parts, but they're still characters.  I tend to include them.

The Sith Spy Droid and Han Solo in Carbonite I included in my list just to be
completely thorough.  I don't really think of them as figs or characters.

Steve