 Star Wars / 3557
Re: Minifig-Scale AT-AT update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:05:49 GMT

Just thought I'd comment on my own endeavors, etc...

In lugnet.starwars, Shaun Sullivan writes:
I know I've been promising to get some pictures of my minifig-scale
AT-AT up soon, but it seems building is always taking precedence over
photographing.  That is, still no pictures *sigh*

:)
(same here, but I showed the head and the undetailed legs at the last NELUG
meeting... Next step-- photography... actually, I've got 1 side of the body
completely done, but the other side looks more like a wireframe... would look
very cool for pictures)

I've been working diligently the past couple of weeks ... I think I've
overcome almost all of the technical hurdles!  The speeder bike garage
houses four speeder bikes, the chin cannons recoil , and I've even got
the fully articulated round neck - unfortunately, with all of the
support structure inside it, a minifig can't actually walk from the main
body to the cockpit, but by placing a closed door at each end of the
neck the illusion works wonderfully!  It's a compromise, but I think it
is worth it.  Maybe down the road I can adapt it so that a minifig can
walk through it - I've got some idea, but I'm going to wait on them.

Same here... (with the neck) Minifigs can't pass through, but it's rounded (I
used Paul Baulch's idea for a ringed neck, looks cool (thanks Paul!)) The neck
is "fully" articulate (it moves up, down, left, right) but the individual ring
secions do not bend accordingly.

Recoiling chin cannons? Cool! I don't have those...

Speeder bike housing... I had to re-design the speeder bikes so they'd fit. I
checked it out, and speeder bikes are around 12 feet long (I think it's
something like 11 feet, or just over) and the 'official' speeder bikes are
something like 20 feet long in minifig scale, I forget exactly. Basically, if I
made the AT-AT to scale with the speeder bikes, it'd turn into about 90 feet
tall, which is about 15 feet taller than it should be.

Last night I actually got it mostly together.  Unfortunately, when I
considered its height, it stood in at about 16-17 meters or so (I
consider a minifig (5.33 bricks high or so) as a 1.8 meter measuring
stick).  I'm going to try and stretch that up a bit to around 22-23
meters.  Alot of that can come from the legs, and I need to make the
body taller anyways - angling the wall sections decreased the perceived
height enough to make a difference!

I stood mine up for the first time this weekend-- Mine stood at 23.5 meters
tall with the legs fully outstretched (about 78 minifig feet, or almost 1 foot
10 inches in real terms.) The "correct" height of an AT-AT is supposedly 22.5
meters, so I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

Here's one area I haven't really considered yet, and I'd like to solicit
opinions on:  the main compartment door, for troop ingress/egress.  This
is the large rectangular panel on the port side of the walker.  I'm
thinking of having it be a piece that slides up when opening.  Any ideas
on how I could do this?  Or any alternative interpretations of how it
might open?

I thought about that, but because of the way that I'm angling the walls up, it
made it tough for the panel to slide upwards. Plus, the hatch looked too deep
when I was playing with it-- If it was built with plates slanting up instead
of bricks, maybe it'd work, but sadly, I used bricks for the siding, which puts
the indent into the panel at a little over a foot. Kinda big. Hence, I just
made the hatch open out and down (away from the body). It's essentially a plate
lain flat on the siding that opens.

Anyway, the legs, feet, neck, and head are done, and the body's about 50% done.
It just needs a furnished interior, and body walls on the right hand side. It
also needs the large circular drive motor for the underbelly, but I'm waiting
for more 8x8 grey radar dishes before completing that. The only other thing I'm
thinking of adding is the hatch that Luke cuts open underneath the body. Are
there any sources known that show its location other than the actual footage in
the movie?

DaveE