 Star Wars / 2721
Re: rights to SW pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 03:40:22 GMT

Kevin B wrote:

Jonathan <piano254@aol.com> wrote in message news:FCoC6r.DIo@lugnet.com...
I still have no
idea
which elements would be included in this, since obviously the basic • bricks,
etc. wouldn't be. Then there are the obvious ones that would be (like the • front
of the TIE fighter). Anyway . . . just thought I'd post this. I wasn't • sure if
it was ever settled last time.
-Jonathan

"All Star Wars elements are property of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or Lucas
licensing Ltd"

There ya go.  That right there tells you that only the SW SPECIFIC elements
(eg. Tile with Alliance/Empire Logos, Speeder Bike Trooper minis,
OWK/Luke/R2D2/JJB  minis, TIE/Gungan Sub/Naboo Fighter canopies, etc) are C
Lucasfilm.

I believe that in this usage, "elements" is legalese meaning "Star Wars trademark and copyright
related  properties", not Lego Pieces.

This would include all character and object names, character depictions, symbols and logos, and like
entities.

My guesses as to what we will be seeing in the future and what we will not be are:

Battle Droid heads, R2D2 figure, SW specific decorated elements (printing seems to be very cheap for
LEGO to do, so there really isnt any reason for them to try to re-use minifig faces, torsos etc.),
JarJar head, *maybe* the Rebel helmet, *definitely* Darth Vader, etc.

Pieces that we *will* be seeing in other themes, *I* believe, are:

Battle Droid Arms, R2D2 torso, head, and legs used in totally different (non-droid) ways with
different (if any) printing, Ion Cannons, locking Hinges (already seen in Rock Raiders), Canopies

(Yes, even the TIE canopy will show up again, though not with the same printing), Light Saber Hilts
in different uses (not chromed).

Just my two cents here.

--Karim