 Star Wars / 2749
Re: rights to SW pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:36:51 GMT

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 03:40:22 GMT, Karim <knassar@mindspring.com> wrote:

My guesses as to what we will be seeing in the future and what we will not be are:

Battle Droid heads, R2D2 figure, SW specific decorated elements (printing seems to be very cheap for
LEGO to do, so there really isnt any reason for them to try to re-use minifig faces, torsos etc.),
JarJar head, *maybe* the Rebel helmet, *definitely* Darth Vader, etc.

Pieces that we *will* be seeing in other themes, *I* believe, are:

Battle Droid Arms, R2D2 torso, head, and legs used in totally different (non-droid) ways with
different (if any) printing, Ion Cannons, locking Hinges (already seen in Rock Raiders), Canopies

(Yes, even the TIE canopy will show up again, though not with the same printing), Light Saber Hilts
in different uses (not chromed).

I'm fascinated by this line of speculation.  One thing to think about:
there are prints/molds TLG *can't* use for non-SW stuff, there are
prints/molds TLG *has/will* use for non-SW stuff, and then there are
prints/molds TLG *could* use, but will end up never doing so.

I agree with most of your assessment.

I think 99% of the printing won't be repeated, because there's little need
to do so, copyright applies best to specific images/designs, such as
printing, and because the SW printed patterns are typically not that
compelling.  About the only printed element which is generic enough to be
reused is the 1x4 tile with the red bars on it, from the X-Wing.

I think the R2D2 legs look too much like R2D2 legs to be reusable.  I think
there could be uses for them, but not compelling uses.

I don't think we'll see the TIE Fighter canopy, just because it's pretty
specific to how it was used.

Steve