 Star Wars / 264
Re: 6 months!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:39:15 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:
<24M ?? admin wrath>

I guess I'm confused. What's the difference between ftping a file from a
site and receiving it in the mail? Same bandwidth consumption, really.
Or am I missing something? I defer to your knowledge since I know you
admin sites...

Well, generally speaking mail servers are "meant" to handle lots of
little files, really tiny files on average.  I don't know about most
places, but a lot of the boxes I've seen have things like mailhost.x.x
running on totally separate machines from ftp.x.x and the like.

I don't admin any sites directly, I mainly just observe and listen.  I
do know from playing with SMTP and POP packages, though, that some of
them have defaults for what to accept and reject, and one of the
criteria is size.  Most of our big multi-user servers are Unix-based,
though, and I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to Unix, so maybe
someone more experienced could jump in and tell me how flawed my
assumptions and reasoning are.

Why burden a mail server that might have a thousand POP clients
attaching to it at any given time (probably more for our main
popserver at utk) with a 24 meg file that your average POP reader may
or may not decide to sit through the transfer?

The bandwidth really isn't the issue - it's what the machine serving
out mail is meant to do versus what the machine serving up ftp is
meant to do.  I don't do a lot of comparisons, but I know from
personal experience that on the same machine with the same connection,
grabbing a huge (1+ meg) attachment with my POP client takes longer
than with an ftp client from the same account.

Probably moot, though.  I bet the person's SMTP server wouldn't allow
a 24+ meg attachment anyway.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide