 Star Wars / 2343
2342  |  2344
Subject:
More comments on Ben's LEGO Millennium Falcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:17:26 GMT

Thanks Mookie for the kind words and too everyone else as well.  To answer
Mookie's questions:

The Millennium Falcon is about 62 studs in diameter.  Not counting the upper
and lower quad cannon, it is 12 2/3 bricks thick.  The interior rooms and
hallways all have six bricks of headroom except the forward hold, which has 6
2/3, since the floor is lowered in this area.  Notice in the movie where there
is a step down to the forward hold.  Also, there are two steps up in the
cockpit hallway and the ceiling hight is slightly restricted but workable.
These two steps are necessary to bring the cockpit level to where it should be
relative to the rest of the ship.

So yes, a minfig can stand pretty much anywhere.  And Luke can don a helmet
with a blast shield and practice his light saber skills.

On a side note:  I've also been thinking about adding escape pods.  None of the
documentation I've scene is consistent on locating this in the ship, so I'll
take creative liberty in placing them.  Some sources point to the left and
right docking arms, but both of my docking arms are packed full of pneumatic
control valves and tubing so there is no additional room for an escape pod.
Perhaps something that launches vertically near the rear of the fusalage.  I
figure there needs to be atleast two pods, each with room for two minifigs or
droids.  Maybe I could even make them launch from teh fusalage.

Has anyone ever done working landing gear that is linked to door panels that
open and close as the landing gear goes up and down?  Much like modern
commercial jet aircraft.  As I detail the underside this is something I'm
thinking about.  While the landing gear fully recesses into the hull, it would
be nice to have them covered when they are in the up position.

Regarding a design contest.  Some people seem to think my MF model is a shoe in
as a winner.  Hmm, not sure.  I still really like that AT-ST that was done
recently and would probably vote for it over my MF. At least until I finish a
few more mods to the falcon.

Again, thanks for everyone's encouragement.  Without Lugnet, I wouldn't be
nearly as inspired to build such a great model.

Ben

In lugnet.starwars, Tamyra Teed ("Mookie") writes:
Great Model Ben! Any idea at all how many pieces you've used for it? it
looks easily like a few hundred grey plates!
Just how wide is the body? that's probably not the right dimension I'm
asking for here... tall? as to compare a minifigs height.. can they
stand in the cargo bays?
Ben Fleskes wrote:

Hi all,

Well I've given my LEGO Millennium Falcon a lot of hype.  While it is still
not completely done.  I've posted a couple of pictures on my webpage at:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1857/falcon2.htm

Let me know what you think.

Ben Fleskes