 Star Wars / 1997
Re: modifications to SW sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 02:09:55 GMT

   Hi,

Ben Gatrelle wrote:

I'm not sure why TLG is making some of these SW sets in pieces, held together
by connector pegs. Darth Vader's TIE and more recently the engines on the
Naboo Fighter (1). I have substituted a 2x2 plate for the 2x2 tile which
allows the engine to be solidly connected to the body and not flop around.

   Well, if you don't like that, you're not gonna like the   Sith
Infiltrator--not one, but TWO levels of peg-
   connection on the wings alone.  The "nose" is also
   peg-connected.  The thing can come apart into five
   pieces (not counting the Speeder and "droids").  Then
   again, it's ugly as sin (the bad kind, not the good kind)
   so maybe that's a minor flaw in the grand scheme.

(1) The Naboo Fighter is my favorite of all the EP1 sets. I am SW complete
except the Sith Infiltrator which I'll wait for a % off sale to purchase (and
#7131).

   Hear hear!  I absolutely love that set.  Lots of good slopes.
   I think the challenge to TLG of building sets that are "actual
   things" has produced models that must by definition use the
   pieces we've been clamoring about for years and years!  I
   forget who said it, but my response on seeing the polybags
   in the Sith Infiltrator box was "oooh, 2x4 low-slopes...oooh,
   grey plates...oooh, grey pieces" as well.  Not a pretty thing,
   but for parts, all of the SW sets are phenomenally good.

   -LFB  (waiting for a %-off sale for Gungan Sub and Mos Espa)