 Star Wars / 17933
Re: Unused "feature" in 7675 Clone Wars AT-TE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:03:25 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:
I recently built the new AT-TE (one of the least interesting Republic/Imperial
war machines as far as I'm concerned), and aside from the loss of the
speederbike in the trunk, and 75% of the crew (if they want to use the main
cannon, the pilot will have to put it in park and climb topside, since the
Arc-Troopers can't sit down with those half-skirts on), it's a much more robust
and functional-looking build than the previous one.  However, there's one thing
that really confuses me.  It's clearly meant to be a moving part, but nowhere in
the instruction book nor in the box artwork is this feature shown being put to
use.  Right in the center of the hull, there's a bar with a T-shaped top end
that can be pulled up to stick out of the top of the hull.  I tried using it to
close the top hatches, and it doesn't really work (unless, perhaps, the hinges
are so loose that a slight jiggle would suffice).  There's only one other
possible reason I can think of for why this would have been included, and if
it's even remotely true it simply boggles the mind.  Is it possible that TLC has
plans in place to either release a dedicated Republic Gunship carryall, or to
put out alternate instructions for the new standard Gunship that would allow you
to do this with an existing set?

I haven't had the pleasure of building the AT-TE just yet.  I have to wait until
X-mas until Stacy will let me have mine.  However, the feature you describe
sounds very similar to the handle that was incorporated into the 10178 Motorized
Walking AT-AT so that you can easily carry/move the craft.  I second Scott's
assertion that it is probably a carrying handle.

-Dave