 Star Wars / 17081
Re: My Episode II Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 02:58:14 GMT

At 12:31 PM 8/12/2004, you wrote:
Hi all my first Star Wars post. I know it's not strictly Lego related but I
think that's ok from other posts I've seen.

Hey I'm always up for a Rant, let's get it ON!

Ok back story wise here's what's wrong:

Tuskan raiders do not distinguish between gender in their dress. This
contradiction can be seen in Galactic battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns and
the Ep.
II Visual Dictionary in which their clothes vary. It clearly says this is not
the case in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe.

Good point, as Anakin states that he killed them all, the women and the
children, it would have been nice to at least glimpse the women and
children of the sand people.  And where are the sand people in Clone Campaigns?

The Geonosians did not design the Death Star as implied by the presence of the
holo-plans removed by Count Dooku in the closing scenes of the movie. The
Death
Star was conceived by Grand Moff Tarkin and approved by the Emperor as
described
in Star Wars Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. This implies that the
Empire had to exist already and Tarkin had to be a Grand Moff (whatever
that may
be. some one set me straight on that please.). Thus it could not have been
designed before hand.

George has stated before that the Movies are the number one source of Star
Wars facts.  the multitudes of books that have spawned from his creation
can be over ridden by the prequal movies.  this is but one of those
things.  However it is interesting in that this movies is, what, 22 years
before ANH and the Death Star is only just patrolling the galaxy then, yet
the second Death Star, which is bigger, is up and operational a measly 5
years (this figure may be wrong, correct it if it is) after the first one
is destroyed.  However, maybe the production of the first is slowed because
it is kept secret, I don't know.

I do, however, find it amusing that every Star Wars book after the GOD
AWFUL Jedi Academy trilogy has now been invalidated.  That's what you get
for writing such a HORRIBLE trilogy of books Mr Anderson!  I take
issueswith that trilogy.  it was just bad.

Battle droids are a product of Baktoid Armor Workshop not a Geonosian
factory of
some kind although the design could have been licensed out I suppose.

it was ten years, maybe companies have changed hands, or it's a product of
the separatist alliance or something.  needs a little explanation I agree

I probably missed a couple dozen others so feel free to add!

nope, I'm good

Movie problems (or my subjective opinions):
Bad dialogue, the characters sound like cheesy spoofs of themselves from the
previous episode.

ah, It's Star Wars, I can over look that.

No extras or actors were used for any of the clone trooper scenes, digital
only.
This made them seem to robot-ish and inhuman (in a bad different way from
storm
troopers).

ah, not entirely true, but yeah, true for the bigger scenes, but in those,
who is looking for humanity

Dexter (that four armed alien from the dinner scene). I personally
nominate him
for dumbest and most annoying prequel character. Like Jar-Jar he was
unnecessary
addition that made the film stall.

nah, I like Dexter, gave Obi Wan some street cred, and we know that Obi Wan
knows his stuff, has to learn it from somewhere

Jango fett's Armor is a different color and style than Boba's in the
originals.
AND we see Jango without his helmet! In addition, his pistols look like some
decorative piece made for a rich collector not tactical at all (although
the way
he used them at the same time was cool).

so is the Slave One, in the same variations too.  So Boba is good with
paint, likes green over blue, and sliver becomes grey over time.  the
pistols reminded me of the Queen's pistols in Episode I

No big space battle. The one between Obi Wan and Jango doesn't count. That was
just lame Obi Wan never fires a shot.

I would have liked a space battle too, but you can't always have space
battles.  we did get an awesome ground battle though

The eh-hem "car chase" thing with the air speeders. Just plain stupid
trying to
put a car chase into star wars form.

I felt it gave us an interesting view of Corasaunt that we have never seen
before (did I even spell that correctly?) and I liked the car chase (I
still haven't found the Tie Fighter or the X-Wing that are apparently in
one of the Corasaunt scenes)

Obi Wan's lame saber fighting in general.

yeah, a little disappointing, one saber throw and "pop" off with Jango's
head on Kimeno (again, planet name spelling?)

The rickshaw things on Tatooine never seen in any other movie.

but looking at Tatooine (and I know I spelt this one right) it's not unexpected

Not even showing one pod racer making them similarly reference less.

A broken one outsides Watto's shop would have been nice, but the budget was
spent on the Rickshaw I guess. (and did I see a single power coupling beam
on that Rickshaw....  I think NOT)

And last but not least all those lame jokes that Threepio makes during the
battle. Bad. Awful. Terrible. Abominable. Running out of adjectives.

Hello? Threepio, bad jokes abound! I liked the jokes to be honest.  need I
remind people of the link between "Lame" and "Star Wars"

The fight between Obi Wan and Anakin should have taken place in Ep. II and
then
the rise of the Empire in and the Alliance in Ep. III

I feel, that given what we know has to have happened by the end of Episode
III that there was a lot left out, but I'm not sure what else could have
been put in.  Episode Three needs to be like 3 1/2 hours long

Ok, I'm done.

really, I'm just getting warmed up.

nah, just joshing ya, I'm done

Nice ranting with ya Peter