 Star Wars / 16792
Re: "May the Transforce be with you."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Chris Maddison wrote:
   Mike, this is so cool! The idea is pure gold (err..crystal?) and the execution is spot on. I’m not that big on the X-Wing. The bug form is pretty cool, the x-wing form is not so spectacular, but major points on making a transformable craft. I’ve tried many times and haven’t really succeeded yet.

I know what you mean. It’s kind of like some of the real Transformers: the vehicle mode is pretty solid with much cleaner lines, but the robot is basically a mess of barely discernable appendages with wheels and wings jutting out here and there. Here, the spider would be the vehicle mode, and the X-Wing the robot. It’s intended to be a spider most of the time, only transforming when needed. So, the X-Wing mode is really just secondary – just the surprise part. Originally, I had wanted a much more organic looking spider, but that would have made it even harder to maintain the basic lines of an X-Wing. Actually (and I forgot to put this into the little background story), the ship isn’t meant to be space worthy at all (which is a good thing, since it has an open-air cockpit).These people never actually leave the planet, so the X-Wing is just supposed to be some alternate, abstract form the spider can morph into with the added abilities of flight, speed and firepower.

   The best part of all this is the figs. Luke, Yoda, Maul, and R2/3PO are the coolest custom figs I’ve seen in a long time.

Waiting (im)patiently for more,

Thanks! I don’t usually make custom minifigs (or even build in minifig scale very much at all, for that matter!), but I sort of got into a BrickWars state of mind with these and had a lot of fun. I tried to give each non-crystal person a piercing weapon and a bludgeoning weapon, and the crystal guys each two forms of the Transforce energy stuff. I’m sure there’s lots of ways to develop the whole theme, and there’s certainly plenty of characters left to make. And vehicles. What I’d really like to do is somehow work some Miniland sized guys into this, too. We’ll see!