 Star Wars / 13238
Re: The word on Lando from SW Celebration II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 01:46:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:

I for one think we will NEVER see a lando or mace minfig becuase LEGO
doesn't want to enter this 'race' mine filed.  If they do them in yellow
some people will be mad and if they do them in brown or black other people
will be mad.  So as to not enrage anyone they'll just steer clear of the
mind field.

The problem is, specifically excluding Black characters also (and perhaps
more so) opens them to charges of racial bias.
Remember, they have made minifigs that are specifically Asian (Ninja series)
and Native American (Western series) and those Pacific Islanders in the
Pirate line.  At least the first two of those had specific racial
characteristics (most obviously the eyes on the Ninja characters).  They did
have yellow heads on all of these (and they do as well for young Boba, who
was played by a Maori actor) (so was Jango, but his they had to use the
painted head so they could turn it around under his helmet) so I'll bet they
eventually go with yellow for Mace.
I would love to see a bunch of heads in brown, tan, sand red, and any other
color that could conceivably be a skin tone, but I'd rather have them do the
major SW characters in yellow than not at all.

Bruce