 Star Wars / 12840
Re: about the episode 2 sets, my thoughts as to what happened
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:52:04 GMT

WalMart HAS put a Sell Not Allowed on the Episode II stuff.  However, if
they have the sets out on the floor, it's pretty hard for them not to sell
it to you.  In visiting some Walmarts in my area this past weekend I found 3
stores that had one or more of the sets out.  Even though when I went to the
checkout line and it came up "Sell Not Allowed", at 2 of the 3 stores they
did a price check and sold it to me.  The third store just plain refused to
sell them to me.  I suppose I could've made a big stink about it but really,
what right do I have to complain?  We'll be getting the sets soon enough and
on the announced date since they are already in the stores back stock.

Keith Blumenthal

In lugnet.starwars, Ray Sanders writes:

In lugnet.starwars, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Here is likely what happened (IMHO)
8.lucasfilm corporate tells wal-mart corporate to tell all stores to
remove any episode II product from the shelves and put it into the back
room or whatever. (probobly with "if you dont do this, we wont let you
sell any more starwars stuff" or something)
then 9.the wal-marts remove the episode 2 stuff from the shelves.

Right, and if they follow those instrcutions about as well as they (the WM store
people) did on the 6776 recall, then not much will really happen here. Many WMs
still had the 6776s on the shelf *and* scanning at clearance prices recently.
The only thing that stopped them from being sold (usually) was a 'Sell Not
Allowed' that corporate put into the pricing database. That effectively stopped
the sales (again usually) at the checkouts. I'm surprised that WM has not done
that type of stop to hold these items until the release date.

Ray