 Star Wars / 12701
Re: WalMart & Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:05:35 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Shane Patrick writes:
Perhaps I'm alone in my thoughts, but it seems like WalMart is not playing
fair in regards to the scheduled release time of Legos.  Time after time,
they seemingly ignore the release date or "accidentally" put the stuff on
their shelves while other stores wait until they are supposed to.  This has
the potential effect of lessening the LEGO StarWars items, or at least the
amount of each, that other retailers will carry, because, by the time that
they sell them, some of their potential customers will have already
purchased what they want.  This "cheating" is one reason why I won't buy
from WalMart.

A lot of Walmart (and K-mart too) staff members are lazy and careless.  They
leave up sale signs and then it is a hassel at the register, instead of
taking the item to where it goes, they leave it or stuff it in a wrong place
and they hardly do anything when it comes to cleanliness.  The root is poor
managment and the reason that the stuff gets out early is just that.

All the stores get holiday stuff in way early, weeks before most of us want
to think about it.  My local Target had Valentine items in thier store in
mid December. They waited to put it out until the 26th.  Star Wars is so
major that the staff must have mush for brains to know it is not time to put
it out yet. But they are lazy.

However, I also think that some of the stores do knowingly place the items
out early.  I went to a local Wal-Mart and an entire 3'x10' shelf had
nothing but Jedi Starfighters plus another "new item" shelf that was totally
stuffed.  If someone had to make the "new item" sign to put on the new item
shelf, someone in management knew about it and ignored it.

I will buy all of my Legos from stores that play by the rules.  I like
having the reassurance that I have options, both local and regional, for
picking up what I want without having to drive to some "MegaStore."  I think
they think that they are so big they can do anything they want.  If this
keeps up, perhaps someday that will be the only place, other than LEGO
Direct, that we'll be able to find these things.  Then, I suspect, discounts
on LEGO won't occur nearly as often.  I'll wait, thank-you very much, until
I can buy them from a story that isn't covertly trying to monopolize the >market.

In my area, five communities, mine included, had to fight the Walmart
company in the city council to stop the building of a SuperWalmart.  All of
them won.  Here in AZ, we hate Walmart, especially when the want to build a
store that would attract people from 20 miles to our private, crime free
area in the suburbs.

However, I will stomach the other stores when I can get a good deal on
clearance.  :-)

Does anyone else think honor is something that should be rewarded and
dishonor chastised?  I know some will think that I am overreacting a bit,
but lemme know what you think, don't be shy. =)

Coporate America rules the world and a lot of us hate it, especially when
the act like they rule the world.  However, Lego needs to take some huge
punishment, money-wise or otherwise, before it teaches them a lesson.  The
fines that are spoken about are not enough, the store probably covers that
tenfold in the profit they make from selling the item early.

However, I feel that the Jedi Starfighter was meant as a teaser because TLC
themselves stock the item early in thier stores and LSAH service.
Everything else though was not a teaser 4sure!

Jeremy Scott