 Star Wars / 12696
Re: WalMart & Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 21:19:26 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Brett A. Antaya writes:
PS I DO like Lego better than Walmart but I can't help to wonder what Lego
expected would happen when they shipped all these sets for the regular new
release dates when in this situation the release date was still a month
away. I'll always shop at Walmart though because the end of the year sale is
the best savings on Lego to be found (in my area) outside of a Lego outlet
store.

My best guess would be something like this...  TLC ships xxx trailer loads of
'Spiderman' sets to the various WalMart regional warehouses. The warehouses only
have so much space, so the next outgoing truck to the store in Anytown USA with
product for the toy dept gets 'Spiderman' included. When that store gets it,
they have a choice depending on how much backroom space they have available.
They can stash it in the back, or they move it up to the toy dept. Of course we
all know that WM does not put full sealed boxes on the risers, so they pop the
box open, and shove it up topsides until 'home office' sends down a new plan for
the modular, whereby they pull them down and shelve it. Some stores might have
some 'flex' space available, so they shelve in the first place. In any case, an
observant AFOL comes along, spies the 'Spideman' set, asks someone to get one
down, and off we go. The only shelved product that I have had WM refuse to sell
was the 6776 Ogel Command (which was apparently on recall). I have heard that
certain WMs will only stock Hot Wheels on certain days of the week and in
certain quantities, but I don't think Lego product has quite achieved that
status yet.

Ray