 Star Wars / 12695
Re: WalMart & Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:59:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Shane Patrick writes:
Perhaps I'm alone in my thoughts, but it seems like WalMart is not playing
fair in regards to the scheduled release time of Legos.  Time after time,
they seemingly ignore the release date or "accidentally" put the stuff on
their shelves while other stores wait until they are supposed to.  This has
the potential effect of lessening the LEGO StarWars items, or at least the
amount of each, that other retailers will carry, because, by the time that
they sell them, some of their potential customers will have already
purchased what they want.  This "cheating" is one reason why I won't buy
from WalMart.

In my area 3 out of 4 Walmarts tend to acidentally put things out early. I
had a conversation with the manager of the one that doesnt put things out
early and she told me that Lego has the ability to check the stores records
to see if sets were sold before release dates and if they were that store
would get a fine and that the breach of trust could lead to Lego altering
who they ship early to. If you really don't like Walmart Shane, you should
probably change your tactic and buy sets early there whenever you get the
chance.

TRU does that sometimes too. I've seen sets about a month or so before their
release date. I do admit the practice does hurt competition, but I guess
that's the way Wal-Mart is. They're a bit greedy on that part, anyway.
I like to wait until all of the stores have their Lego in stock so I can
search for discounts, clearance, etc. Wal-Mart charges a tad too much for
their sets anyhow.

  I'm not sure where you shop Matt but every Walmart I've been to charges a
few pennies (at least) less than everywhere else that charges standard
retail price (or above like TRU).

I will buy all of my Legos from stores that play by the rules.  I like
having the reassurance that I have options, both local and regional, for
picking up what I want without having to drive to some "MegaStore."  I think
they think that they are so big they can do anything they want.  If this
keeps up, perhaps someday that will be the only place, other than LEGO
Direct, that we'll be able to find these things.  Then, I suspect, discounts
on LEGO won't occur nearly as often.  I'll wait, thank-you very much, until
I can buy them from a story that isn't covertly trying to monopolize the market.

Nobody likes monopolization (unless you're a wal-mart employee) :)
I seem to agree on that part, I don't like Wal-Mart anyway because they
think they're so big. They remind me of AOL, a bunch of greedy
comglomerates. (sorry if I'm ranting here)

Does anyone else think honor is something that should be rewarded and
dishonor chastised?  I know some will think that I am overreacting a bit,
but lemme know what you think, don't be shy. =)

Definitely! I think they should play by the rules and give other toy outlets
a chance to compete. Isn't that honest capitilism, or am I not thinking the
wrong way?! Overreacting? Well, everybody rants once in a while, but I'm
sure many people agree!

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet Member No. 1112

Overall I disagree with the assessments you two have made on Walmart. I
don't believe they are greedily bent on monopolizing Lego sales by cheating
or anything else. I don't believe they regard themseves as above the rules.
I believe they simply lack good management & help (its the people that make
a difference, remember?), perhaps on a national level, and Lego has shown
that to us by shipping sets to them a month before they need to get them. I
wonder if Lego pays Walmart for the storage space these unsellable sets use
up in the back of Walmarts around the country...who is really to blame?

Brett

PS I DO like Lego better than Walmart but I can't help to wonder what Lego
expected would happen when they shipped all these sets for the regular new
release dates when in this situation the release date was still a month
away. I'll always shop at Walmart though because the end of the year sale is
the best savings on Lego to be found (in my area) outside of a Lego outlet
store.