 Star Wars / 12355
Re: Republic Gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:42:00 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jude Beaudin writes:
http://www.lego.com/starwars/episode/default.asp?prodid=7163

Yeah I love it. I think I will still prefer the new Slave 1 for the nice
color scheme, the wonderful curved silhouette and Jango Fett, but:

I like the fact that the doors look like they open via a lever on top of the
ship. This type of functionality, also seen in the Slave 1, is new to the
Star Wars line and a nice move for Lego.

Even though the set will be up there in price I don't think anyone can
complain about getting four clone troopers. Anyone seriously wanting to
build an army should feel the need to have more than one gunship anyway
since I guess there will be a ton in the movie. The super battledroids look
really cool. Much more interesting as figures than regular battledroids.

I wish the jedi wasn't anonymous especially since it was rumored to have
been Mace Windu. Is Lego simply delaying what seems to me an inevitable
decision to produce him.

The gun turrets on the wings seem like the were tacked on to maintain the
accuracy of the profile. There's nothing there which is a disappointment.

In front of the open doors on the fuselage, there is a column of black
blocks. It looks like it should be functional. Any ideas?

While a lot of Lego recently has been interesting to me (Bionicle, Deep Sea
Adventure Alpha Team, Spiderman Studios) these Star Wars sets bring back the
excitement and design innovation that got me all worked up in 1999. I really
wonder what the second wave of sets next Christmas will look like since the
first wave seems to cover all the major ships. Maybe they will produce
storytelling sets since I haven't seen a hint of any Amidala minifigure or
Naboo set for Epi II.

Jonathan L