 Star Wars / 12337
12336  |  12338
Subject:
Too Many Stubbies™? (Was: New Slave 1 on StarWars.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:04:48 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Tanner writes:
Has everyone seen the new Slave 1 on the Official Site?
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/01/news20020131.html

How do you think it compares to 7144?  Personally, I like the colors, but
those windows seem a bit to simplified for my tastes.  The original version
I felt did a better job here in being "pure LEGO"

I agree...the window is too Jack Stone.

More importantly though, to my mind, is the inclusion of young Boba Fett in
the set...look  at the picture...this seems to be the first case of LEGO
using Stubbies™ to do a figure as a child scaled to an adult. When we first
caught wind of the shorter legs, this is, of course, something we all
thought of, but now LEGO is doing it for real...do we like this or not?

Why I ask: Scale has always been tenuous at best when talking about LEGO,
especially where our adoreable, but horribly deformed and out-of-scale,
favorite figures are concerned. I don't have anything against Stubbies™
except that they are esentially POOPs, and as such have decilned play value.

But what does this new scale mean? I don't want like, say, the entire Harry
Potter line to switch to Stubbies™ because of all the kids, because then the
play value and the reuseability of the fig parts declines to a sorry point.
Likewise, I DO NOT want to be innundated by Stubbies™ ever...I need true,
articulated, minifig legs, thankyouverymuch, and scale be damned! No one was
worried when 10 year old Anakin was the same height as 25 year old Obi-Wan.
I don't mind Stubbies™ being used for certain things (Yoda, Ewoks,
Gringott's goblins) for fun and effect, but I see this as far different from
producing tons of the things.

Am I nuts? Does anyone agree with me? Are Stubbies™ the end of the
articulated minifig legs forever?

Matt

(FUT lugnet.build.minifigs please)