 Star Wars / 12341
Re: Too Many StubbiesT? (Was: New Slave 1 on StarWars.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:55:57 GMT

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.starwars, Steve Tanner writes:
Has everyone seen the new Slave 1 on the Official Site?
http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/01/news20020131.html

How do you think it compares to 7144?  Personally, I like the colors, but
those windows seem a bit to simplified for my tastes.  The original • version
I felt did a better job here in being "pure LEGO"

I agree...the window is too Jack Stone.

More importantly though, to my mind, is the inclusion of young Boba Fett • in
the set...look  at the picture...this seems to be the first case of LEGO
using StubbiesT to do a figure as a child scaled to an adult. When we • first
caught wind of the shorter legs, this is, of course, something we all
thought of, but now LEGO is doing it for real...do we like this or not?

Why I ask: Scale has always been tenuous at best when talking about LEGO,
especially where our adoreable, but horribly deformed and out-of-scale,
favorite figures are concerned. I don't have anything against StubbiesT
except that they are esentially POOPs, and as such have decilned play • value.

But what does this new scale mean? I don't want like, say, the entire • Harry
Potter line to switch to StubbiesT because of all the kids, because then • the
play value and the reuseability of the fig parts declines to a sorry • point.
Likewise, I DO NOT want to be innundated by StubbiesT ever...I need true,
articulated, minifig legs, thankyouverymuch, and scale be damned! No one • was
worried when 10 year old Anakin was the same height as 25 year old • Obi-Wan.
I don't mind StubbiesT being used for certain things (Yoda, Ewoks,
Gringott's goblins) for fun and effect, but I see this as far different • from
producing tons of the things.

Am I nuts? Does anyone agree with me? Are StubbiesT the end of the
articulated minifig legs forever?

I hope Boba's Stubby legs are blue.  I'll use them for my Watto and give
Boba his legs.

--
Grant Giandonato
g.giandonato@home.com