 Space / 8795
Re: Neo-Oz Update: Additional 1.48MB of ZERO pictures added.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 04:39:33 GMT

I would like to thank all of you at Lugnet for your comments regarding ZERO.  I
appreciate all for your input and I will execute all suggested changes if I
ever get the opportunity to do so.

Bobby (Neo-Oz)

In lugnet.build.mecha, Eric Sophie writes:
Chris, you have said some really good things, right on. Plus Bobby, you are
really taking this well, mostly everbody wants to give a little input, we
can all benifet from advice, but as you know you have to run with your
thoughts and only consider what we have said.

Of the People who have commented, I respect all they have said, I'm glad you
did'nt take it the wrong way. Size, Wieght and detail all play a roll in the
overall impact of the model. Fuctionallity also goes hand and hand with
these aspects too. I know from experience that building a good mech is a
game of give and take. I make consessions thru out the Robot depending on
what I want it to do or look like. Most of the time I end up somwhere in
between, but I never, never do less than I think I'm capable of....and in
the end I go by one of a couple motto's : keep them guessing!

Yada yada

Eric

In lugnet.build.mecha, Christopher Snead writes:
In lugnet.build.mecha, Mladen Pejic writes:
Do you have some obsession with size?

It seems from prevoius posts that size is a major concren for Bobby.  However,
I think this isn't neccessarily a bad thing.  Trying to overcome issues of
supporting large amounts of weight is a major factor in mech building.
Although I don't share his desire to build mechs on that scale, I admire his
attempt to push the envelope.

I'm sorry to say this...

But I'm not really that inspired or amazed by your Gundam. I mean sure the • size
is huge, but what else is there.

There is quite a bit.  I'm impressed with his creative use of parts, probably
do to the fact that he didn't have the  resources to buy more Lego.  I think
that, in addition to size, he got the most out of his parts.

Sure, you might have reached the height benchmark, but you sure did sacrifice
looks, among other things such as movement of the limbs.

To me, a good LEGO model is something that has a great design. The whole point
of building with LEGO is to make something that, well looks cool. I'm not
saying that your mecha isn't cool, I'm just saying that all you seem to care
about is reaching a certain height in your model. To me, a cool LEGO Gundam • can
be 10 cm tall, or 22 inches tall, as long as it looks good and is complete. • But
your Gundam is 4 feet tall, yet lacks certain things that make a Gundam a
Gundam (see above paragraph).

Now I know I'll probably receive flames by posting this, and I know that you
can build whatever you want to build, but I'm just trying to give a little
constructive criticism.

Well, I think that giving such criticism can be an important thing.  To know
what people like and dislike about one's mech can be valuable in the next
project.  I hope, Bobby, that you can take such criticism and use it as you see
fit.  If size is your objective, then please, by all means, continue to explore
that aspect of building.  You mentioned in a previous post that you would like
to see others explore such scales.  That may not be their thing; I know that I
have no desire to build anything much larger than two feet.  But it is your
thing.  You are the most qualified to build the mech of your dreams; it may not
hapen tomorrow, and I know that you have concerns about not getting back to
building.  But Lego is great, because, in its infinite durability, will be
there for you when you decide to get back into it.  Like I said before, there
is a lot to admire in your gundam.

Christopher