 Space / 8304
Re: Universal Docking Ring ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:14:46 GMT

Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> writes:
1. Adapter rings (or having both a male docking ring and a female docking
ring) add more non-payload overhead to ships.
2. Not having docking-ability limits your options.  What if you had a STO
ship whose entire payload needed to be transferred to an OTM ship?  It'd be
more efficient to dock the ships directly, rather than going through a
space station.
3. Docking rings would be a PITA for the astronauts -- spacewalks and
remotes are both cumbersome ways to deploy adapter rings.
4. Adapters are bulky.
5. It's as easy[1] and secure to dock ships with unigendered rings as with
gendered rings.  Why limit your options for little or no payback?

The benefit to gendered rings is that it is possible to dock in more
positions.  If all four of those mounting points are male or all
female, then you have four orientations of the two ships to pick
from.  With ungendered rings, you have at most two orientations to
choose from.  With wings, tails, antennas, etc. on the various ships,
you may not be able to dock in the available directions.

Steve
1) But unigendered/nongendered rings may be harder to design.

Not that hard - if you have a rectangular door area you can put
Technic posts sticking out in the top-left and lower-right and holes
in the top-right and lower-left.  This will easily dock with another
ship having the same configuration.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx