 Space / 8279
Re: Universal Docking Ring ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 04:31:34 GMT

"D M Garcia" <dmglego@yahoo.com> writes:
"William R. Ward" <hermit@bayview.com> wrote:
I'm trying to invent a good docking system for my spacecraft.  Before
I invest too much time and effort into it, I'd like to first see what
other people have come up with.  Are there any of you out there who
have a good design for a docking ring, preferably with close-ups or
CAD designs available online?

In Feb 2000, a design was created by Bram Lambrecht and tinkered by Duane
Hess that was Pretty nice.  If you have any DAT file viewers, you can check
out the design posted in lugnet.cad.dat.ideas FEB 22 2000

The design of the door is a separate issue - although that was a very
clever sliding door, I don't know if I'd use it because it doesn't
look like it would be "airtight".  But no matter what type of door
used, the size and shape of the connector between ships is the key
thing as far as I am concerned.

My concern about that design is that it only allows ships to connect
in two orientations.  What I'm talking about is the actual connection
between the ships.  From that perspective, the design you refer to is
somewhat lacking, according to the criteria I posted earlier.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx