 Space / 8274
Re: Universal Docking Ring ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:42:08 GMT

One quick note:  for shuttles, put the docking rings behind a hatch (or
hatches).  And put the hatch on the upper surface of the vessel.  It would
be really cool if the hatch(es) can open all the way, and the docking ring
would slide outward, to better reach the ring on the other vessel/base.

And I think a non-gendered ring would be much better than gendered
ring-types.

Steve

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward wrote:

I'm trying to invent a good docking system for my spacecraft.  Before
I invest too much time and effort into it, I'd like to first see what
other people have come up with.  Are there any of you out there who
have a good design for a docking ring, preferably with close-ups or
CAD designs available online?

Here are some of my thoughts on the design issues...

1. Kinds of Vessels - there are three basic types of vessels that I
can see would need to be considered.  Each of these has its own
requirements.

A. Surface-to-orbit shuttles need to be capable of reentry.  So they
must not have Technic posts sticking out or other things which would
in the real world burn off.  They must be symmetrical and streamlined.
They shouldn't have doors in the middle of the heat shield (except for
landing gear).

B. Space stations and interplanetary craft need to be able to mate
with various shuttle craft.  If the docking rings have "sexes" then
the needs of surface-to-orbit craft will probably dominate which type
of vessel gets which "sex" of the docking ring.

C. Orbit-to-moon, intra-orbit shuttles, etc. also have no strong
requirements for aerodymanics or such, as they will never enter an
atmosphere.  But they probably should have the same "sex" as the
surface-to-orbit shuttles, so they can mate with the same larger
vessels - again, only if the docking standard has "sexes".

2. Docking Angle - I would like to have it be possible to dock in more
than one or two orientations.  This is because different ships may
have various protuberances such as wings, tails, modules, solar
panels, antennae, etc. which would get in the way of docking.  I think
ideally it should be possible to dock in any of 4 different
directions.

3. Size - The minimum requirement is to allow minifigs and gear no
larger than a minifig to pass from one vessel to another.  I don't
think large cargo units would need to be in a pressurized space as a
general rule.  However if larger access is needed, a separate standard
can be developed.

4. Sex - should there be separate "male" and "female" sides or should
each side be identical?  If Technic pegs are used for connecting two
ships, should all the pegs be attached to one of them, or should each
ship have half of them?  The problem with this is that
surface-to-orbit craft need to be smooth and symmetrical.  You could
put a peg in diagonal corners on both pieces, and a hole in the other
two corners, but the pegs on the landing craft would be vulnerable to
burning off, barring some bulky construction which would protect them.
So I think it makes more sense for the surface-to-orbit craft to be
"female": having Technic beams that can receive pegs from the
"mothership" when docking.

With all that in mind, the design that seems to me to be best is to
utilize the fact that 6 studs = 5 bricks.  By placing the Technic
studs and the beam-holes with that spacing, you can mount in any of 4
possible orientations, according to the needs of the shapes of the
various craft.  Since Technic holes are typically mounted between two
studs, a spacing of 6 studs means that the brick structure would have
to be 7 studs wide.  However, positioned vertically, it would be 5
bricks tall.  So if you can picture a square that is 7 studs wide and
5 bricks tall, with Technic pegs and/or holes in the corners, it could
be rotated 90 degrees and still fit together with its opposite.

Any comments?