 Space / 8185
Re: Question for large-scale builders...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:04:49 GMT

"James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
How do you deal with model flexing?

I'm working on a 6' ship right now, and would like to be able to support it
from a single point, but I don't think I can without having the ship look
like it was left in the sun too long. :(

Anyone have suggestions?

James

Well, my Destroyer is pretty solid, I would venture to say it could be supported
from one point.  Then again, this ship is about 3-4' long, not 6'.  My
suggestion is use a lot of plates - the Destroyer has a high plate to brick
ratio, also, step your underside, which provides the foundation for the rest of
the bricks.  The underside of the Destroyer is multiple plate layers and even
integrated at different levels into brick walls (which forces plates into the
picture when certain walls join).

The Destroyer is a 99% studs-up design, and also, a lot of its walls aren't
smooth for the entire length, lots of bulges and dents, especially on the first
deck.

I'd love to build a ship with a Technic beam interior structure, though. :-)

-Tim